Painted Striped Front Porch Steps

$45

Looking for a fun way to add a little curb appeal?

This painted front porch step project adds so much to your front porch steps for a minimal cost.

You can create this look for your home today by following these step-by-step instructions.

Gather Your Supplies

Before you get started, you'll want to gather your supplies. You don't need many for this project, just

Concrete Paint

Frog tape

Pencil

Measuring tape

Paint brush

Paint steps and porch with base paint and tape off with painter's tape

Choose whatever color you want your steps to be and paint them with concrete paint. I highly recommend using a paint formulated for concrete to make sure your painted steps hold up to the elements.

Let the paint dry.

You may need two coats of paint. Check the coverage and if you need another coat, paint a second coat on the steps.

Next, measure over from the edge of the step where you want your first stripe to start. We measured 24" from the edge of the step. Place your painter's tape on the stairs.

Determine how wide you want your runner to be

My front steps measure 9' 9".

We measured in two feet from each side, which means the entire width of my runner (including the stripe) is 5' 9".

We marked the two feet down the side and lined up three pieces of painters tape.

Score the tape in place to prevent the concrete paint from seeping under the tape.

One quick tip: we taped down three pieces of tape and then just peeled up the middle piece of tape, leaving a perfectly spaced stripe without ever having to measure.

Paint a base coat to seal the tape and paint a stripe color

Before you add your stripe color, simply paint a strip of the base coat to seal the edges of the tape. This helps prevent tape from seeping under and helps give you a clean line when you paint your stripes.

Let this dry before you paint your stripe color.

Next, paint your stripe color. I chose white paint to contrast with the gray paint on the steps. Paint between the taped lines and the center of the stairs the same color to create a "faux" runner.

Then right away, while the paint was still wet, pull the tape slowly back towards you for a crisp edge. Pull the tape in a continuous motion to ensure a clean line.

Let your painted runner dry completely before you walk on it.

We let ours cure for a minimum of 48 hours before we used the stairs.

And then?

Your porch steps are ready for their day in the sun.

Literally.

If you liked this paint project, here are a few more that you might want to check out:

How to Paint a Cube Wall

And this video from my YouTube Channel:

5 Simple Tips for Picking a Paint Color

If you have any questions about how I completed this project, be sure and leave them in the comments.

Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Thistlewood

• Sherri

This is beautiful! Our porch is that old vinyl covering. What type of paint do you think we should use? Or still use the cement paint for durability?

• Valerie S Crider

I have Formica mobile home steps, but want to do this. What paint will work best? I can seal them too.

• Gert Domber

YES I WILL, WAS JUST THINKING WHAT TO DO AS THE STRIPS OF TAPE HAS GOTTEN KIND OF BAD OVER THE YEARS AND DON'T DO ANY MORE GOOD AS FAR AS NOT SLIPPING OF THE STAIRS . I WONDER IF THERE IS A PAINT THAT WILL HELP US FROM SLIPPING IN THE WINTER ?

• Barb

Wow it’s stunning and I love the contrast and it’s gorgeous curb appeal. Great creative idea for any porch stairs. 😊

• Gloria

Our concert drive is looking so bad it is black from age If we use concrete paint what steps would we take. Will it stay on

• Jonathon

I would power wash it first or at the least, use a spray on cleaner. Usually they contain a small amount of bleach but are completely safe for wildlife.