Turn a Glass Top Table Into a Wood Top Like Magic!

$60

Am I a magician?? Maybe. I have posted how I transformed a wood box into mimicking galvanized metal. Now watch how I transform a glass table top into wood before your very eyes!

Before

Here it is...its not much to look at. It sits on my back patio usually covered with a decorative table cloth to hide its 90s rippled glass and 80's metal legs.

It was given to us and I didn't care to have it but since it was free my husband jumped all over it. It serves its purpose and has hosted some dinners for us over the past few years.

Retique It

This product, Retique It, came in the mail as a gift from Hometalk. I was intrigued that it claimed to turn any surface into wood, well mimic wood. It could be used over almost any surface. This was my chance to try it out on something I wasn't fond of anyway and wouldn't be devastated if it didn't turn out how I thought.

Here we go...watch this magic trick closely!

Chalk Paint

Retique It rattled off a bunch of surfaces this could be used on but glass was not one of them. It did, however, say it could go over any painted surface. To the rescue came my favorite chalk paint because I know Chalky Chicks Furniture Paint can go on any surface. I got out my jar of Powered Snow and started painting the top and touching up the white metal legs.

It is not a pretty paint job but it did the trick to have something for the Retique it to adhere to.

Retique It applied

Over top of the chalky chicks paint I applied the Retique It. It was muddy brown with a slight pink tint. Now I thought this was the finished product but you apply the Retique It and then you are able to stain any color you want over top of this coat of Retique It because it uses real wood in the product. Interesting, right?

Wood Stain

I had two colors of stain in storage so I went with the lighter of the two and used Special Walnut. You have to let the Retique It dry for at least two hours before apply the stain.

Here is how the stain went on. I just used a paint brush and painted in long smooth strokes with the direction I applied the Retique It.

Voila! A "Wood Top" table from glass. It gives a new meaning to the term "Stained Glass" because that is essentially what I did but just in a different way.

Before and After

Pretty cool, huh? With different products you can manipulate different finishes.

Finished

Like I mentioned above, I was able to transform wood into galvanized metal and now glass into wood - what is my next magic trick??? You will have to just follow along and find out.

• Marc Brammer

Does it scratch easily?

• Dawn

I just ordered this to try it on a fiberglass outdoor patio table. I was wondering if you used a polyurethane over the finished project as this will be outside in the elements.

• Within the Home
      Yesterday

I have some polyurethane but I did not apply it yet. I wanted to really see how the product worked. I still cover my table with a table cloth.

• DS

That certainly looks amazing, but I would like to know like the other person above ... does it scratch easily? How weather proof is it? Does it hold up in rain or are you keeping it covered? Lastly, did you put a polyurethane coat on it for the above purpose of weatherproofing it?

• DS
      Yesterday

Awww - o.k. well, it looks great as an experiment!!! I would definitely try this on something that has had it's last leg and could do no worse! Thank you for letting me know.