Repurposed Pink Lemon Tray

$5

I LOVE summer decor and am always looking for fun ideas to add to my collection. When I found this old wooden tray at a thrift store I knew immediately what I could do with it!

This I a picture of the before and after. (You can’t see but the top of the tray had deep scratches in the top that were unfixable.)

The first thing I did was sand the tray. Then I painted one coat of white acrylic craft paint onto the entire tray.

After the first coat had dried completely I added another coat. I didn’t do more than two coats because I wanted more of a white washed look.

Then I painted the outer edge and the inside edge with a pretty pink acrylic paint. I painted inside the tray about one inch so that it appeared to be the lemon rind. I eyeballed this until it was the look I desired.

For the inside of the lemon I used painters tape and placed 4 strips across each other so that the triangles would be a little more even than if I just eyeballed it.

Then I painted the inside pink leaving about an inch of the white exposed around the edge. After the pink had dried completely I brushed on some lighter pink to give the triangles dimension.

After I removed the tape I realized I wanted the triangles closer together so I brushed on a little more darker pink around the edges of each triangle to make them feel closer. In the first picture above you can see which triangles I had added paint to and which triangles I hadn’t. The second picture shows all triangles completed.

After the paint was completely dry I sprayed a clear glossy coat onto the tray to give it a shine.

Here it is all complete!

You can use it as a decorative tray with other decor on top, or...

Stand it up like a plate behind your decor! I’m super happy with the outcome.

• Donna

I have an old wooden TV tray with the tray inside is white. Some is chipped off. The tray is in good shape except the tray, I thought about contact paper because if food is dropped on it it's still safe. Any ideas