Fireplace Shiplap Facelift

$75
Advanced

This was such great transformation, and we aren't done yet! Don't forget to follow me to see the next DIY we do on this fireplace. We will be putting together a wood mantel that can just slip over the existing one!

In the mean time, I hope you get a better understanding on how you can recreate this for yourself. The supply list is long, but I promise it is a easier DIY then you think.

BEFORE!

Our Mantel was lacking in something. After taking measurements we are ready to start.

Don't forget to take yours! Ours was 60 inches long, but we went with 62 inch boards since we will be adding a wood mantel later.

Supplies

Plywood

NOTE: Before you leave the hardware store, If you do not have a table saw, they can make the cuts for you.

The width of my boards are 5 in. 7/8ths. As far as the lengths they vary from the project you are doing. Ours are 62 inches

Supplies

Liquid Nails (I needed 4 bottles for this job)

Tile Spacers (These can be substituted with Nickels if you would like to save some money.)

Paint (paint and primer in one.)

Caulking (1 bottle)

Paint brushes (2 sizes, a smaller one to get into the creases, and a larger one to paint the boards with)

Air Compresser 

Nail Gun with 1inch Brad Nails

Step 1

Paint the boards and the edges before starting

The boards will take 2 coats of paint. I used a paint and primer in one. I recommend using this as well. If not make sure you prime the boards with primer paint first then.

Step 2

Now to start applying the planks. First apply the liquid nails to the back of the wood. Be generous.

Step 3

After placing it on the wall not place nails from the nail gun one each corners, and one in the top and bottom middle.

Step 4

Before you start your next board paint the top / edge of the board. Do not skip this step, it will make your life easier in the end. I learned the hard way.

After you've painted the top it will look like this.

Step 5

Now its time to put up the next board. This is where the tile spacers will come in. You can also use Nickels for this part to save some money.

Repeat Step 2 - 5

Apply the next board and repeat the steps from the first.

Step 6

After all the boards are up it is time to start caulking. Caulk the edge of where the board meets the mantel. You can use the caulking to also fill the nail holes. Just wipe off the extra off with a damp rag.

Step 7

After the caulking is cleaned up and dry, its time for the 2nd coat of paint.

Step 8

Here is where the small paint brush comes in. Use it to get into the cracks.

Don't forget to paint the top of the mantel to give it that clean fresh look.

After!

And you are done! It really is easy. Just a little time consuming and a lot of steps. I was able to get this project done in a afternoon. The only thing I needed help with was applying the boards to the wall.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home

• Donna Stennett

My question is this; since you are nailing these up, why would you need to use the adhesive? Especially if someone wanted to take them down someday down the road. Why the extra step & expense?

• Edith

We put up beadboard strips using nails and adhesive. I could not understand my husband doing both, but he did. He was right. After about 4 months one of the strips was bowing out a little from the wall. The adhesive must not have been generous enough on that one! I guess settling and perhaps humidity? My husband pulled the nails, added more adhesive, and clamped the piece with a thin board for cushion/protection and a massive clamp. After a week the clamp was removed and the nails replaced. Good as new, but definitely preventable.