Adding Character to a Family Room Brick Wall

$40.0

Changing the vibe of my childhood home - taking it from the 70's to the 1800's during my furlough

Before

This wall was the exterior carport wall until dad turned the carport into a much needed family room for his growing family in the 70's

Step 1

white washed the brick

Positioning the graphic

I cheated by creating the graphic in adobe illustrator and blowing it up to utilize the whole wall.. then found tracing paper by the roll on amazon and traced the design onto the wall to paint

painted

one layer of staying in the lines and making sure to catch drips before the slide down the entire wall

White wash again

same white wash that I saved from day one by putting the bucket of white wash in a trash bag and sealing it

Sanding

After the 2nd whitewash I came back with an electric sander and sanded to let the brick show thru a bit - to get the ghosted sign feel

Love the transformation

Such a gratifying project.. I am happy and my brother is really happy

win win!!

theme

The theme I came up with was based on the 2 prints that will also hang in his redo. This and the fact that we grew up with the train living just 3 houses down from the railroad tracks..I love the sounds of the train still to this day. Our home town is just 60 miles outside of St. Louis where Union Station is a huge part of the city!

• John Biermacher

This is a great project. I have seen numerous faux brick projects on HomeTalk, but the sign makes a huge statement. Decision to add a final whitewash was a bold one.

Just curious, was the original brick paneling?

• Tmhaines

Wow!!! It makes me wish I had a brick wall. The same process could be applied to an outside patio wall with siding too, I suppose. Love the story behind the design most of all.

• Jan

Absolutely LOVE this idea! What a fabulous outcome. Love your innovation and hard work. Perfect, just perfect!!!!