Hybiscus?

KmdreamerBetsyEm
+9

can someone tell me if my hybiscus is supposed to show something yet. i live in mass.

• Redcatcec

Since you are in Mass, a cold area of the country, you probably have your hibiscus in a potted container, they are sensitive to cold, you have hardiness planting zones 5a-7b. It is more likely to see some activity closer to July. Is it doing anything right now? Flowers should bloom mid summer to early fall.

• Cheryl A

they like warm weather here is info on the plants

https://rollinggreennursery.com/hibiscus-for-northern-gardeners/

• Chloe Crabtree

It seems too early for hibiscus to be showing anything in Massachusetts.

• Maura White

We've had a cold spring so I wouldn't worry yet

• Cindy

I love hibiscus. When they are in bloom they really explode with blossoms. Given that you live in MA, you probably will have 6 - 8 more weeks before they bloom. Good luck to you. Stay well.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would expect to see something mid-July.

• Vimarhonor

Hello! No. It sounds a bit early for your geographic region region. I am in zone seven central Virginia and it is too early here. We are still having frost threat during night time I am covering my small tomatoes at select nighttime as of this last week. Lilacs finished it and azalea and rhododendrons are nearing completion at this point.

Additionally for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

If your office is closed....there Might be alternative online venues like Ask an Expert as well as emailing your local master gardeners extension office for their

guidance.... in a non contact manner.

• It's a bit early for your area, I believe.

• Em

There are two types of Hibiscus well suited to ... (Hibiscus moscheutos cultivars) add colorful extended flowering ... individual blooms can be 12” diameter–even more spectacular than those tropical Hibiscus! ... Hibiscus syriacus foliage usually waits until May to appear, so be patient.

Hi Kann: Depending on the weather and sun conditions, some plants will start off a little later than others, and some a little earlier. Here is is, late May, and my Mulberry tree still doesn't have leaves. It's a late starter. Give your hibiscus another week or two and see if it starts to grow. If not, dig it up and see if the roots are still good. If they are, dig a bunch of dirt out of it's hole and replace it with some new soil and see if that helps. Good luck

• Kmdreamer

No in about 3 weeks