Hanging Planter

$50

COVID and isolation has definitely changed a lot of things for us - including how we all now view the garden. It has become our safe haven ... our happy place. If any of us aren't having such a great day mentally, ‘let’s go to the garden’ is usually the first thing we say. Sometimes a little fresh air and a little sun really does make it all better!

The first thing I decided I wanted to do was build an outdoor hanging planter (I've wanted one for absolute ages), but rather than build it from scratch, I opted to hack a few garden planters instead. Click here to see another of my garden planter ideas

Heres how I did it:

MATERIALS NEEDED :

• 3 x planters
  • 10 mm rope 5m long
  • Tape measure / ruler
  • 2 x heavy duty brackets
  • Drill
  • 8mm, 10mm drill bit for metal
  • 6mm masonry drill bit
  • Marker pen
  • Flowers
  • Soil

HOW TO:

The first thing you need to do is drill holes to all four corners of the top of the plant box. To create the holes, start with the smaller 8mm drill bit.

Flip the planter over and drill 4 holes into the base .

Next  Thread the rope though the top hole of the first planter and make a knot like below.

Place the planter box on its side. Measure and mark 30cm on the rope from the edge of the planter. Tie a knot at the marked position.The knot gives the next planter something to rest on.

Thread the rope through the pre-drilled holes on your next planter, knot and repeat.  Repeat this step for all four corners of the planters. 

Decide where you will be hanging this outdoor planter. - i chose my brick wall!

Finally Plant your flowers into the planters and hang!

See blog link below for more tutorial details (AND VIDEO) . If you''re wondering how i created that plant shelf in that video - see my floating plant shelf tutorial

• Rope  (amazon)
  • Tape measure  (amazon)

Medina at Grillo Designs

• Where did you get the planters from? Are they metal?

• Leslie
      Yesterday

Hi Nicole, If you can't find rectangular metal planters I would consider using plastic. You can paint the plastic with spray paint for plastic. The plastic may need support, so I would get wood to make the bases to put the planters on. Drill holes in the wood planking on all 4 corners and run your rope through the holes and tie knots place your plastic planters on the hanging shelving. If you do buy the metal planters I would not use sisal or natural fiber rope because it will break down after being inside the planter and being exposed to water and weather constantly. She mentions the name of the planters in her video but they are in England apparently because the price is in pounds sterling. You may be able to look up the name and get similar here if you are in the US Good luck.

• Kris
    Yesterday

Love ❤️ it but also wondering if you had any difficulty making it level.

Thanks for your share!

• Val
    7 hours ago

So beautiful, well done.

• Roberta
    18 minutes ago

Beautiful! Did you have to coat them with some type of shellac so they do not rust?