How to Easily Create Faux Enamelware

$5

I love antiques but in my area it's hard to aquire them so I wondered if I could make it and fake it to resemble the vintage enamelware. Here's the set that I'll be working on, it will be my tester set and if it works out I'll try it on some other items.

Before Photo

It's just a small metal set with a country style charm finished in a cream and tan flat finish. The only prep I have it was to ensure there were no dust bunnies hiding down I inside.

Look I'm Aiming For

This is the finish I'd like to try and mimic, white with patches of chippy black. Notice the chips along the base, top rim and handle because those I'm going to pay particular note to in order to get mine looking close to the real thing.

White Spay Paint

I'm using a spray paint that has both primer and finish all in one and I'm spraying outside to eliminate the reaction I might get from any fumes. Multiple light coats should be your aim not a few heavy ones, this will likely cause runs and drips on your finish!

Spray All Sides

The spray paint dries really fast, once one side was dry to touch I rotated and flipped the holders to ensure all sides and little crevices were painted.

Adding Black Accent

So now the white paint has dried really well, I left it overnight so now I'm ready to tape off and isolate where I'll be adding the black paint. I removed the handle just to make this job a little easier

How to get the Black Chips

So you'll recall those black chips in the sample jug? I figured if I tore my tape to get a rugged edge I might have found a way to mimic those chips.

Top Rim Taped

So the same way I did the base I'm hearing the tape at the rim of the mouth of the jug. I hope this works....but if not it's no big loss because this is my tester set and I don't have anything of great value ruined.

Winner...it worked!

I applied the tremclad black gloss paint, left it to dry for a day or so and then removed the tape, normallyyou'd remove tape immediately after while the paint us wet. However with this being enamel paint I figured I'd open up one big disaster if a speck of wet black paint touched my nice white finish!

Chippy Goodness Achieved

I'm not going to lie, where I had left the painters tape on the cans until the paint dried, when I removed it some of my white finish came off. I had a quick fix though, I brushed on some Folk Art multi-surface white paint and it covered the boo-boo's just fine.

Not Perfect...but Close

I love how they turned out even with the set back and afterall the biggest room there is is for improvement! I'll keep tweaking the process but in the meantime I'll set these in place to show you how they look.

Farmhouse Style

Placed in a wooden tray along with some spindles, orbs in one and greenery in the other....pretty cute huh? It cost me a few hours of my time but only a few dollars in money and it gave me a big smile....love it!

Full Display

Now do you see the reason why I wanted some old black and white enamelware? Yes, yes that is an original Toledo weigh scale that I purchased because it reminded me of my childhood from visiting my grandfather's small convenience store! That's also a reason for me to smile, wonderful memories of him.

Quick Review in Photos

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Here's the process once more from before to after.Side note... the stack of books seen here are featured in a previous post, I recovered old, odd books to make a custom decor set. Thanks for viewing my makeover and always look for a reason to smile!

• Dolores

Beautiful! But I’m wondering if you used the spray paint for the edging? I can’t see myself not getting it on the white part even with the tape. Lol

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives

No, no I used tremclad brush on paint but FOLK ART MULITI SURFACE black would have been just fine too, applied with an artist's brush. NEXT TIME I'll be using the Folk Art paint because the oil paint took way too long to dry, therefore a much longer time that the tape had to stay on. See photo #5, I used that paint because I wanted a gloss finish and it was all that I had at that moment. I hope this helps explain the process a little clearer for you. Thanks so much.

• Rynn

Great Job! You captured the old style with the black edging and the bits of 'worn' places. I will definitely be using your hint about tearing little spots from the tape to give a little 'wear' . Here is one thought to further antique the chippy places: add a bit of rust along the bottom edge here and there-- just the smallest touch in 2 or 3 places-- with a rusty color paint. I was trying to make a new metal birdfeeder look old, and a little rusty colored paint here and there really fooled the eye. LOVE your project! Thanks for sharing!

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Excellent tip! Yes, I was already planning on my next makeover having a wee bit of rusty radicals added! 😁 So nice to hear from you, thanks for your idea and enjoy creating yours as well!

• E95656

Love this!