How can I fix a leaky metal roof??

Kathy Gunter LawBetsyWilliam
+11

Roof was completely done about 6 yrs ago. It's had it problems right from the beginning. The owner who said I would have life time warrantee will not return to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed

• Kelli L. Milligan

Are you renting? If own you should have gotten a copy of the lifetime warranty and must contact the manufacturer. Depending on your warranty a "lifetime" warranty can also mean the expected life of the product NOT your lifetime. Most lifetime warranties are 5 years.

• Mogie

I would contact a lawyer if for nothing more then to send the person who did this or told you there would be a life time warranty a message. Most people sit up and take notice when they get a letter from a lawyer.

Do you have anything in writing in the form of a contract? That should spell out what is covered?

If the person who did the work is licensed and bonded you can get a hold of the Better Business folks.

I know my little town has a mediator who helps work out problems before they end up in court.

• Peggy Burnette

Anette, I am so sorry you are having problems with your roof. I would call the BBB and also the attorney generals office and report the company that put your roof in. Good luck

• Redcatcec

This might help you:

https://www.hometips.com/repair-fix/metal-roof.html

Hopefully you have a contract you can refer to, read it thoroughly and see what is supported.

• Have you identified where the leak is?

• Vimarhonor

I would start with contacting the installer and go from there. The person doing the inspection and repair should be familiar with metal roofs.

• Em

Call the company that installed it first. See if they can help. If not call a roofer to at least temporarily or permanently fix it before it does more damage. They can patch it with metal roofing adhesive.

The company that installed it should correcvt the problem. Metal roof can last up to 100 years. If they continue to refuse tell them you'll see them in court. You can get a few estimates and have the roof repaired. Then I would file a small claims case against the company.

Hi Annette: Yup, small claims court. If you have anything in writing about the guarantee of the roof and your attempts at getting it fixed, gather that together and take it to court with you. If you don't have anything in writing about your telling him the roof is failing, send him a text explaining that you have been trying to get him to address this issue for 6 years and you want to know what he plans on doing. Don't mention court yet. Once you get his reply, be sure to save it, and then if he says he's not going to do anything, then I'd mention small claims court. Keep his reply and then proceed accordingly, once this virus mess is over. Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law

First identify the location of the leak. If you have any vents, I would begin there. You might have to add tar on the area to stop the leak. But without knowing where it is, advice is spotty.