Cover Up Worn OutdoorCarpet?

+15

We moved to a rental apartment with a lovely balcony. Unfortunately the outdoor carpeting is threadbare and nasty looking! The concrete underneath is covered with carpet glue and looks as bad as the carpet. The management will not replace it so I’d like a temporary way to cover it up. Thanks for sharing your suggestions 😊

• Cardiopro Cardiopro on May 17, 2020

Pull up that icky carpet and throw it away. I’d buy an outdoor rug from Big Lots or Target and enjoy your balcony.

• Mogie Mogie on May 17, 2020

Just curious what is the size of the balcony in question?

Check out the rugs at Lowes. We picked up 2 carpets there for $49.99 each. They are about 12 x 10 feet each and they had many to choose from.

If you are feeling like you want to take on a challenge you can buy what are called remnants from places that sell carpet. A remnant is just what is left over on the big roll after some else buys what they need. If you don't want it to fray just sew some binding to the edges.

• A rug or rubber mat would be my first idea.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 17, 2020

There are many attractive outdoor carpets that can be placed over the top of what is there. I have seen them at Ollie's, Big Lots, Aldi (if you have those stores in your area). They are at Home Depot and Lowes. Also Amazon.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on May 17, 2020

Hobby Lobby has a good selection of outdoor rugs that you could use to cover what you have now.

• I'd put an outdoor rug over it.

• Wood patio tiles would also be a good option for covering them up.

• Mikkigirl Mikkigirl on May 17, 2020

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the balcony is 4’ wide and 24’ long. It has a step that is 12’ 4” long, 8” riser and 8” wide step. Very difficult size😒

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on May 17, 2020

You could cover the carpeting with wood planks.

• Betsy Betsy on May 17, 2020

Hi Mikkigirl: I'd just get another piece of outdoor carpeting to put over the existing one. You can, most likely, glue it down, too. Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 18, 2020

Remove the carpet and put down an indoor/outdoor rug. You can get them fairly inexpensive right now and take it with you if you move.