Stenciling Ceramic Tile

$100

I didn’t care for the marbled gray look of the builder grade ceramic tile in this guest bathroom so I painted it.

I previously painted my laundry room floor a year ago so I decided it was time to do this floor too.

I wanted something different so I went with the gold and it just made the room. Now I love it!

Stenciled Tile

Stenciling can be tedious but it’s rather rewarding in the end.

Before

Below I will tell you the steps I took!

First I cleaned the floor really well with Krud Kutter.

Next, I primed the entire floor with two coats of some BIN primer and let that dry for several hours.

After the primer dried I used this chalk like white paint as my base color. You can use whatever color you like. I knew I wanted a white floor.

I did a couple coats of the white chalk paint over the entire floor.

Stencil time!

I love this star stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils and I purchased it in a 12 x 12 which is the same size as the tiles.

I used this pale gold metallic paint from Modern Masters for the pattern.

I didn’t want to overlap the stencil and take a chance on smearing the pattern so I skipped around allowing tiles to dry before going back and filling those in.

I used a 4” foam roller wiping off any excess paint off onto a paper towel. The key is to use very little paint.

Once I got to the edges I just pushed and bent the stencil to get it in those harder areas. I thought I would end up having to cut it but I didn’t as it is pretty flexible.

Now it still might smudge or bleed at times but you can always go back and do touch ups in the end.

Here’s a progress shot.

Once it was all done I went back and did two coats of poly over the floor for added protection.

Before & after

30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window

• Heidi

Hi, this looks great! Can I have the name of the Green paint on the wall too?

Thanks

• Barbara Goerlich

Looks nice. What about the floor underneath. Can it be restored to its original look?

• Julie Mitchell-white

How durable us it? My daughter hates her kitchen tile but it's in perfect condition!! Who ever laid it did a excellent job! They use their kitchen door to come in/out of their home. I would hate to even just paint it a solid color and have it peal etc and look worse!! Thank you in advance!!!

• Donna

Absolutely fabulous! Great job I love it!

• Bunny

After seeing the finished stenciled floor I quickly purchased the stencil from Cutting Edge and planned to do my floor white with Silver stars... closer to matching all of the brushed nickel hardware throughout the bathroom. BUT...

have the stencil but now wondering all the time how long well will this painted floor hold up. I have 2 full bathrooms and the one everyone uses has an

epoxyed tub that didn’t hold up well at all. So I bought the largest rubber bathmat I could find to cover most of it! Still haven’t decided to stencil or just “go for broke” and retile the floor with the more expensive patterned tiles.