Stenciling Ceramic Tile

$100

I didn’t care for the marbled gray look of the builder grade ceramic tile in this guest bathroom so I painted it.

I previously painted my laundry room floor a year ago so I decided it was time to do this floor too.

I wanted something different so I went with the gold and it just made the room. Now I love it!

Stenciled Tile

Stenciling can be tedious but it’s rather rewarding in the end.

Before

Below I will tell you the steps I took!

First I cleaned the floor really well with Krud Kutter.

Next, I primed the entire floor with two coats of some BIN primer and let that dry for several hours.

After the primer dried I used this chalk like white paint as my base color. You can use whatever color you like. I knew I wanted a white floor.

I did a couple coats of the white chalk paint over the entire floor.

Stencil time!

I love this star stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils and I purchased it in a 12 x 12 which is the same size as the tiles.

I used this pale gold metallic paint from Modern Masters for the pattern.

I didn’t want to overlap the stencil and take a chance on smearing the pattern so I skipped around allowing tiles to dry before going back and filling those in.

I used a 4” foam roller wiping off any excess paint off onto a paper towel. The key is to use very little paint.

Once I got to the edges I just pushed and bent the stencil to get it in those harder areas. I thought I would end up having to cut it but I didn’t as it is pretty flexible.

Now it still might smudge or bleed at times but you can always go back and do touch ups in the end.

Here’s a progress shot.

Once it was all done I went back and did two coats of poly over the floor for added protection.

Before & after

• Heidi

Hi, this looks great! Can I have the name of the Green paint on the wall too?

Thanks

• Barbara Goerlich

Looks nice. What about the floor underneath. Can it be restored to its original look?

• Julie Mitchell-white

How durable us it? My daughter hates her kitchen tile but it's in perfect condition!! Who ever laid it did a excellent job! They use their kitchen door to come in/out of their home. I would hate to even just paint it a solid color and have it peal etc and look worse!! Thank you in advance!!!

• Diana Deiley

Wow! Excellent job. You are a brave, stylish woman. You GOT this for sure. Thanks for sharing your awesome project.

• Allyson Mitchell

Looks wonderful!

I have wanted to paint over my awful, White with brown marbleized shading, tile. The kind that always looks likes it needs to be cleaned even right after washing. This stenciling looks very “high-end,” and very “designer-inspired.”

thanks, Allyson