How do I paint the backside of non removable window grids?

Unique Creations By AnitaKen EricksonNan W.
+5

I have a door with side lights (windows) with faux plastic grids that are screwed (?) in and do not appear to be removable. I have painted the grids but can see some paint from the inside that seeped on the backside of the grids. Ugh!! How do I paint the backside of the grids?

Hi Becky: Here are a couple of sites that are sure to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naRY9L2l2-s

https://www.hunker.com/13418594/how-to-replace-the-plastic-grid-in-the-window-of-a-metal-exterior-door

I have some on my garage door, and they just pull out. I grab them by one side and bend it slightly and it pops out.

Good luck

• Cynthia H

Hi! I think the only way would be to remove them. If they aren't glued or screwed in, I suspect they will pop out. Easy does it because sometimes they get brittle over time. Good luck and stay safe!

• Cindy

Hi Becky. If they are truly non-removable, you will not be able to paint the back side of your grids. Take a good luck, there might be some screws that are flush with the surface. Good luck Becky. Stay well.

The grids are stuck on with industrial double stick tape. Since some paint seeped behind them some of the tape has loosened. There would be no way to paint the backside without removing them. But then the paint would prevent them to be stuck back on. Only solution I have is to tape off the glass on the backside with painters tape matching the grids. Then you can paint the glass.

• Lifestyles Homes

I would call the manufacturer and ask them how their grids are installed to see if you’ve any options on safely removing them.

• Nan W.

Becky: the manufacture might also have same grid... that you could put on OTHER side of window.

• Ken Erickson

In the future for others: There is a paint on material that works like masking tape. Paint it on, cut it at the edges, remove the excess on what you want to paint, then paint.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I always say, I am not always right though. That if it goes on it has to be able to come off. Try looking for hidden screws or a spring loaded hinge, they can be put in places out of sight.