How to paint banker box?

Cathy MicklerUnexpected EleganceBetsy
+8

• Mogie

Are banker's boxes made of cardboard.

• K. Rupp

I would spray paint it. We have one and I can't imagine not having it in our office. It definitely gets all the papers off the desk into organized slots. What is it made out of , wood? plastic? or cardboard?

• Redcatcec

These are cardboard boxes, or do you have something else in mind? You could cover it with lots of things, newspaper, gift wrap, seed catalogs, contact paper...to name a few.

• If it's cardboard, I would cover it with contact paper or decoupage paper or fabric to it.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Cathy, it will really depend on what it is made out of. Can you provide some more details and we would be happy to help :)

• Recreated Designs

Oh got it. I am in Canada so the terms are not always the same. It will be hard to paint cardboard without the paper getting too wet and the layers peeling. I think you mentioned a primer below and that might be a good option but I haven't heard of it. Painting them would definitely make them look better if they look like the ones we have here ;)

• Em

Spray paint or chalk paint would both work. You can spray on a coat of poly to protect them better.

Hi Cathy: You can use contact paper to cover it, but since it's cardboard, I'd be careful about painting it, unless you use something like poster paint, and then you may be able to spray a clear lacquer on that. You can put stickers on it, post cards, pictures from magazines and mod podge them on, etc. Also, on one end or side, you can attach a plastic zip bag and put a note in it saying what's inside of the box, instead of having to open it to see. This is especially helpful if you have them stacked:) Guess how I know this? :) Good luck

• Cathy Mickler

Thank you for all the responses. Yes, they are made of cardboard but I have about 15 that I wanted to paint. Some where I read about a primer called GESSO to be used before spray painting. I wanted something I could do quickly so I might have to rethink this. I do appreciate everyone's ideas. Love this site.