How can I repurpose this??

Holly Lengner - Lost MomMelanie CzokaSingsonggal
+16

I have a Manger that my grandfather built probably over 60 years ago. The wood is beautiful and I would like to keep it. I have no use for a manger though. Trying to think of a way to re-purpose the wood. Any ideas?

• It would make a beautiful display shelf.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Gracie, Could you use a similar or complimentary wood to add a bottom and middle to it making it into a shelf? You could keep the overall shape and look of it that way but use it anywhere you would like a little storage shelf.

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

How about putting it outside to add to your garden? You could put a birdhouse under the roof and add some hanging plants around the bottom. Make sure you put on some UV protectant sealant first.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

With a few additions it could be a doll house.

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Gracie: maybe you could put on a cabinet and display a collection... like if you have tea cups, etc.

• Em
    Em

You could turn it into a bird feeder. Add a bottom, that sticks out farther than the piece. Add a piece of wood to that that keeps the seeds from spilling out. Cut a piece of plexiglass and hold in place with screws and leave about and inch for the seed to fall into the bottom. If you use screws instead of glue you can remove them to clean it. Cut a hole in the top center with a hole saw to fill with seed. Use a small piece of wood to cover the hole to keep out rain and attach with a screw that isn't too tight so you can slide it around to fill the feeder. Paint it or stain and poly it to protect it.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

How about a fairy garden? Not sure of the scale but you could make an indoor one if it's the right size.

William

I go for the display shelf. Add wood to the bottom, a few shelves. I wouldn't use it outside.

• Gracie
    Gracie

Thank you all. I cannot put it outside because I live in a condo and have no outside space. I will probably turn it into a shelf of some kind. I thought maybe I could reuse the wood in another format but I can’t figure out how to do that. Thank you for your replies.

Betsy

Hi Gracie: Perhaps you can find one of the smaller churches in your area that don't have money for such things and you can donate it to them. That way, your grandfathers legacy will live on. Or, even a school. I wouldn't destroy it. You can always donate it to a thrift store, someone will buy it, it's beautiful. Good luck

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

I think the donation route is the best bet, but some of the other ideas are also good.

Betsy

Thank you Ken. I hate tearing apart someone else's work:) Especially when it can be donated.

• Janice
    Janice

Not knowing how deep the piece is, the one idea that comes to my mind is to add a bottom piece and use it as a display area for a collection of some kind such as tea cups salt/pepper shakers, etc. It might also possibly be able to be used as a window valance if the measurements happened to work correctly.

• JudyH
    JudyH

If it is large enough, I think it would be great to add a grate bottom and place it on the floor in your mud room or just inside your door as a shoe station. With a bench or chair next to it, it would be a nice place to change out of snow shoes or 'outside' footwear. May sound a bit odd, but that's what I would do!! LOL!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

How deep is the space under the roof?

I am wondering about tipping it upside down and using the unit as a holder for hair dryers, curling irons, or similar grooming items?

Small holes could be drilled in the bottom to accommodate the electrical plugs, and to eliminate the chords hanging out over the front.

• Singsonggal
    Singsonggal

I would do the shelf thing on the bottom....a good place to display some pretty cannisters and teapot . higher up hang mugs....keep them pretty to contrast with the wood. And maybe a plant depending on room..

• Melanie Czoka
    Melanie Czoka

This would make such a pretty wall shelf

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can set it on a shelf and use the manger to display books.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You could use it to hold books on a shelf.