Old Oak Gun Cabinet to Gray Pantry

$10

We had been lugging around my husband’s family heirloom gun cabinet for years. It was yellow oak big and bulky and personally I would not put guns in there to display with that with the glass opening. So I decided to give it a new life as a pantry

Needs a new life.

Oak cabinet

I removed the scalloped ledge that held the guns in place

Removed gun ledge

Some of the wood behind came with it, it didn’t matter because I planned on putting shelves in it

I got to scraps of wood cut them to fit inside my cabinet

Measured and cut two shelf’s

I got two scraps of wood cut them to fit inside my cabinet, I used L brackets and installed both the shelves in there since I knew they were going to be painted I didn’t worry that they were scrapes.

I decided to leave the back of the cabinet the light oak

Taped off

I decided to leave the back of the cabinet the light oak And paint the rest of it gray so I taped off back of cabinet.

After two coats of my homemade gray paint

I like the wood contrast

After two coats of my homemade gray paint I added a coat of clear urethane. Now I just need to do something about the glass. I didn’t to frost them with a stencil to add character.

All gray paint done

I first clean the window with alcohol to make sure there was no residue on it

Adding glass frost

I first clean the window with alcohol to make sure there was no residue on it and will get coverage off frosting spray.

I cut off the corners of my stencil

I cut off the corners of my stencil

I placed the stencil on the door and sprayed the glass frosting over it. Make sure you hold the stencil and place with fingers otherwise it will wanna move on you from the air. You don’t want to tape it in place because it will not get the frosting under that tape.

Once I completed the frosting in the stencil

Frosted glass

Once I completed the frosting in the stencil, I replace the doors and put them back on now I needed to attach the feet.

Adding feet

Attaching feet

I had already painted the feet to match the rest of the cabinet I just needed to create blocks out of 2 x 4 to put in each corner of the hollow bottom to attach the feet to.

The feet simply screwed into the blocks

Screws into base
  • The feet simply screwed into the blocks. Use four screws and screwed them into the base for strength.

Once completed I fell in love with it.

Final project

This seriously was one of my better repurposed projects. I was ready to trash the cabinet but now it’s a little paint a little frosting glass and legs it’s beautiful. So much so my daughter stole it and took it home. I hope you like it this is super easy love your comments.

• Cathy

Did you think about spraying an adhesive to the back of the stencil to hold it in place while spraying the glass? Holds the stencil in place better than just holding it.

• VB

Did you have to strip the cabinet before painting it?

• Ruth

No, I always use liquid sand paper from hardware store.

• Lou Bowman

Did you have to prime the wood?

• Anne Griffin

It’s beautiful. I might have put more stencils

down the glass door. And I agree with Cathy about using spray adhesive .

Great job.!

• Ruth

Thank you, will try adhesive next project!

• Maureen

Great job 👍 the cabinet looks awesome.

Thank you for sharing ❤️