Wood Engraved Grill Utensil Organizer Sign

$40

This post was sponsored by Blue Ridge Tools. All opinions are my own.

My brother in law loves to grill...and use his smoker..and his griddle. So I thought a nice touch would be a cute sign to hold his grilling utensils!

Prep The Wood

I had some extra wood in our shed that I wanted to use up so it was a perfect time! 

The wood I had was used for another project so I had to clean it up a bit. I unscrewed the screws and then I had to use my Blue Ridge Pliers to get the finishing nails out of the wood the soft grips on the pliers were very comfortable to use.

Once I had the wood cleaned up and deconstructed I cut the wood to the length I wanted and I was ready to make it cute!

Create Stencil

I used my Cricut to make a stencil of what I wanted my sign to say and the images I wanted to use. I placed my stencil on the wood. My plan was to “engrave” the wood so I outlined the stencil onto the wood.

If you don’t have a Cricut you could also print what you would like on plain paper, place it on the wood and trace it with a pen. That will indent the wood slightly so you can see where your lines are.

Use Blue Ridge’s Hobby Tool Kit to “engrave” the wood.

The Blue Ridge Hobby Tool kit is a rotary tool that comes with over 250 pieces. This tool can do so much it can sand, grind, cut, buff and more.

For this project I am using a HSS (High Speed Steel) bit. I slowly just connect it with the wood and the tool does the work for me. I gently go along the lines and then kind of color it in.

Stain

When it was done I stained the wood using Minwax Stain in Provencal.

I wasn’t sure how the “engraved” part would stain and I was hoping it would be darker or lighter than the rest.

It ended up being a little darker but I wanted more “texture” and contrast.

Sand

I used the sanding bit a little to take some of the stain off and I love the effect.

I like how it’s has a variation of tone and it kind of looks like burned wood. 

I added a quick coat of wood conditioner to highlight the raw wood a little more and that made it pop.

Add Hooks

I measured the space on the bottom of the sign and then screwed in little hooks to hold the utensils. 

They worked great!

I love how it came out. It looks homemade and has a ton of character. It’s always nice to create a sign that’s not just painted. 

The Blue Ridge Hobby Tool gave it great dimension and texture that I would not have achieved if I painted or used vinyl.

Tara Boettger