Making a road sign?

+16

Half a yr later & our county STILL hasn't put up our road sign that was stolen- SOOO, I am going to make one. Any ideas? I was thinking of using a piece of cedar in the road sign shape and stenciling on "Ken Lane." I need it to last, so any thoughts on that?? thanks in advance!

• Nan W. Nan W. on May 19, 2020

Kiply: maybe this will help

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Road-Signs/

• Kiply Prescott Clair Kiply Prescott Clair on May 19, 2020

thanks - that was confusing, tho...

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 19, 2020

Cedar is a good choice. Some big box hardware stores have inexpensive fencing slat pieces for $2-3 that are meant to be outdoors and weather well.

• Cindy Cindy on May 19, 2020

Hi Kiply. I love your idea of using cedar in the shape of a road sign. It should be high enough for all drivers to see. You may want to think of sinking a post in quickcrete to hang your sign on. Just be sure it's pointed in the right direction in the end. Good luck Kiply. Be well.

• Kiply Prescott Clair Kiply Prescott Clair on May 20, 2020

We are going to put it where the old one was = on top of the Stop sign. Someone stole our neighbor's street sign, as well, and they've had a homemade one (VERY homemade) on their Stop sign, too.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 19, 2020

If you are planning on putting it where the previous sign was, contact whoever maintains the road (state, county, town)_since road signs are their property and they could legally remove your hard work after you put it up. Good luck and stay well!

See above comment...

I already talked to the "powers that be", and he basically told me they were tired of replacing those signs because of the theft (I think it could be kids - who hopefully have grown up and left). SO, yah. We're out in the country and no ones cares.

• William William on May 20, 2020

Cedar is a good choice. You can seal it with Helmsman Spar Urethane. Used to seal wood on boats

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 20, 2020

Hi,

Cedar is good. Why not carve out the name or apply the name, Would last longer. Best wishes.

• William William on May 20, 2020

Yes it will seal the words

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 20, 2020

That sounds great. You can use Marine varnish to finish. However, with a name like that I wouldn't count on it staying. Around here, the ones with a person's name seem to disappear regularly.

• Homeroad Homeroad on May 22, 2020

I would just be sure to seal it with an outdoor poly.

• Kiply Prescott Clair Kiply Prescott Clair on May 24, 2020

Thank you, everyone... if/when I get it made and up, I'll post. :)