Cheap & Easy DIY How To: Oversized Wall Sized String Art

$30

Here's a fun project to let your creativity run free!

Before

Here's our television. Heh, and the wall it hangs on. And about four projects you can read about on the blog!

Like most folks, I find navigating the in's and out's of decorating walls to be a dilemma at times. This wall was no exception.

Yawn, booorrring wall, yeah?

Until one day when I glanced at it and thought hm, how about some jumbo sized string art?

Hole Punch Painters Tape for Moveable Wall Marks

Here's a very handy tip for you: take a single hole punch and make moveable dots with painters tape. Right? How helpful! No more messily erasing pencil marks and you can easily rearrange at whim!

So I used these little dots to map out my nail locations on the wall. I had a design in my head already but definitely feel free to sketch ideas out on paper first.

Panel Nails and Jute Twine

Next up, black panel nails and the jute twine.

I used panel nails because one, they were black, and two because they have grippy ridges.

I used jute twine because it added texture and it was a natural color that complimented the other aspects already in place.

Bang in the Nails

Tough photo, I know, sorry. But you can kind of see where all the little nails are in the wall.

Part One Time Lapse

Look you guys, I am a sneak, no one ever sees me so this time-lapse, yeah, it's a big deal! The things I do for you! Here I am (ha I can't believe it) placing the painters tape dots and hammering in the nails.

Stringing the nails

Bonus, you get a second time-lapse! Here I am stringing the nails up.

And it's as simple as that! The options and patterns and shapes and twine and color are endless, right?! How fun!

After

No biggie if I need to take it down, the holes are so small and easily patched with spackle.

Be sure to swing by the blog post itself to see what my sweet husband thinks (uh, not good) and for more details!

How would you do this?

30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Joanie
    Joanie

I like it.......I think a dark back ground with jute string would blend or a light wall with dark string. I think it is a cool idea and it is different.......Maybe a light shining down from the corner to embrace it??

• Phyllis
    Phyllis

I like the idea. It’s the first one you did right? So it’s great being the first time you did it. Keep going. You can change it up and use color etc.

• Leslie
    Leslie

BTW Becky I went over to your blog and you had me laughing which is always a good thing. Mike is a gem in a good way, he is honest with you and at the same time doesn't want to hurt your feelings because he knows you worked hard on your project. Cherish that. Your dog is adorable and beautiful and has no reservations in telling you what he thinks lol.

• Oh thanks so much, Leslie! I’m totally thrilled you swung by and I got a good chuckle out of you! Yes, I’m super lucky to have Mike and big goofy Finn, they’re the best. Thank you very very much!

• Beth
    Beth

I can see this as a ceiling decoration ,trickier to do but using the lights as a feature, could throw some cool shadows.