Broken Crockery Wall Vase

$3

I love the upcycled mosaic planter I made for my garden and decided I wanted to make a smaller framed one, more suited for indoors. It is a lot easier to saw through China than you think so this is a fun way to repurpose any chipped China tea cups. Also, these wall vases would make a lovely gift.

China porcelain cups are best to use for this project as they are easier to cut then heavy stone ware.

Use a diamond blade on a rotary drill. Make sure you wear goggles and do it outside as bits of China will fly off.

With the right blade the saw should just cut through the cup very easily.

I cut my China tea cup in half.

The saucer I chipped into smaller pieces just using some tile nippers.

I spray painted an old photo frame and backing board the same colour.

I stuck the cup to the backing board using a good super glue.

Then using the same glue I stuck the pieces of broken plate around the cup. I carried on until the whole board was covered.

When all the pieces were stuck down I grouted them.

The backing board cup and mosaic were then placed back into the frame. For this particular vase I made crepe paper morning glory flowers. I really enjoyed this upcycle so ended up making a couple more wall vases with different China cups and flowers.

More photos and full details on how to make the flowers are on the blog link at the end.

I also made Boho version of one of these wall vases with an Anthropologie mug with a DIY tropical leaf plant, which looks great on my wall.

As I mentioned in the beginning these vases would make a lovely gift especially if you used a favourite chipped tea cup and filled it with their favourite flowers. The vases would also look good with real succulents or cacti.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Krista Jones

Do you need to use water or oil when cutting and grinding/sawing the China? I know with glass it’s necessary but I’m not familiar with working with this material. Thank you!😊

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

As the China was fine I didn't need to use any water when cutting it. However, it does get a bit hot but I just did it in small burst. With thicker ceramics I squirt water on them intermittently as I cut.

• Cynthia Smith

That really is so cute!