How to keep cats away from planters?

Maura WhiteHomeroadG. Michael R. Hickman
+9

• J

Moth balls or black/red pepper flakes.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Joseph, a layer of chicken wire just under the soil will work wonders to keep just about anything from digging. You could also just cover it with mulch too.

• Cats do not like citrus. Spread some orange peels around. I have also put down chicken wire and covered it with a thin layer of mulch. They don't like it because they can't scratch without their claws getting caught.

• Mogie

Crumpled foil, chicken wire on top of soil will keep them from digging in planters and safe for your plants. Using cayenne or chili is cruel it burns their eyes, feet, mouth, even the babies if it's a mom cat. The burning doesn't even really begin until they leave the planter/area so they do not associate it with the planter,especially if they step in it then clean themselves. It can cause severe eye burns. Some plants are extra-sensitive to pepper spray, such as basil, parsley, peppermint, African violets with variegated leaves, fruit trees in the pink-bud stage, and Bleeding Heart.

• Morgan McBride

They hate tin foil.

• Cindy

Hi Joseph. I keep animals out of my vegetable garden by using shredded Irish Spring bars of soap. It has made a huge difference. Animals don't like the taste or smell of the soap and stay out. You could try shredding just one or two bars and putting it in your planters. Good luck Joseph. Stay healthy and well.

• Redcatcec

Pine cones, sea shells, stones, mesh around the plants.

• K. Rupp

spray liquid fence around it. also Animals like rabbits and deer hate it.

• G. Michael R. Hickman

I dry out my used coffee grounds and sprinkle the grounds right on the dirt around the plants. don't know if it is the smell or texture when walked on, but do this every few days and it seems to keep all the neighborhood strays out of our flower beds.

• Homeroad

I use Bitter Apple Spray on the edges of the pots. You will need to reapply after it rains if outdoors.

• Maura White

plant catnip. J/K!!! :) Get a spray bottle of water and spray the cat everytime they try to get in or near it!