Avocado Dyeing Crib Sheet

$20

Last week I was given two large jars of avocado dye by my pall at @Backyardbedding and I showed you our ‘Ombre Avocado Dyed Macramé Cord’ project. Today I’m going to show you how you can make your own avocado dye so you can start turning your own house millennial pink.

**So far I’ve only done 3 projects with the dye, which I think is very conservative considering how much time I have right now, how easy it is, and how beautiful the dye looks. **Pats self on back**

What you will need for this project:

-       Avocado pits 

o   We freeze ours so we can use them as needed, just clean, pop into a ziploc bag, and you’re good to go until you need them.

-       A large pot 

o   Do not use ceramic or porous material as it will stain

-       Mordant- 

o   White Vinegar -1 part vinegar to 3 parts water 

-       Tongs

-       Natural fabric 

o   The dye will not absorb well into synthetic material 

1.     You will place your avocado pits in a non-porous pot filled with water. Some of our pits had come apart, but no need to intentionally split them. We used about 20 pits for this pot of water (thank god baby C loves avocados!). Bring your water to a boil and let simmer on low with a lid on for 60min. Remove from heat and let sit over night for maximum color extraction. In the morning, removed pits and discard them.

o   Don’t start step 2 until step one is completed.

2.     You will need a mordant to prepare your natural fabric. A mordant is a substance used to set natural (and unnatural) dyes into fabrics. For this project we used white vinegar. Measure out 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water into a large pot, and place on stove top to boil. Once boiling gently, and carefully, using your tongs, place the fabric you are dying into the boiling pot of vinegar water. Place a lid on the pot and turn off the heat. Let fabric sit in the water bath for 1 hour. 

o   After an hour, remove the lid and let water and cloth cool. About an hour. Ring out the excess water well. 

3.     If you want to create a pattern and tie dye, this would be the time to do this. I tied off just the centre of the sheet with an elastic band. I wanted to keep it fairly simple.

Sorry this is not the crib sheet, its a previous piece I dyed to make masks out out. But just wanted to give you and idea as I forgot to take a picture of what I did for this project.

4.     Place your fabric in the avocado dye and let sit at least overnight. You can stir it around and disturb it a bit if you wanted to get the dye in everywhere. I like having the color a bit blotchy, like a very subtle tie dye, so I just shoved the cloths into the pot and left them to sit.

5.      In the morning you can remove the cloths from the dye and rinse well under cold water until the water runs clear. 

6.     Wash with gentle detergent on a cold setting by themselves so they don’t discolor any of your other cloths. 

7.     Hang to dry indoors. The heat and the sun can remove some of the color. 

8.      Enjoy! And tag me in your creations @talldorkandmatching on Instagram 

Pop by our blog Tall Dork and Matching for more fun projects

Abby and Matt

• Crystal McKinley

How much water in step one? Do you have a ratio per pit?

• Abby and Matt

I just filled the pot and added 20 pits. If you have less pits you can always add less water or boil for longer

• Maile Reyes

Hi! I absolutely love this!!! Me and my kids love doing tie die projects , I am very interested in any tips you may wanna share regarding other possible "diy make your own tie die at home " I'm new and really think it has to be alot simpler than I seem to be finding lol, do you have any ideas or suggestions of what I may be able to try looking for bright even just strong primary colors I know vinegar is something that is a main ingredient, I was thinking what do you think about easter egg die tablets would they be something i could use and they would color my projects almost the same like tie die store bought?

• Abby and Matt

Hey,

I haven't experimented a lot of with other forms of fabric dye. Ive used food colouring which works well. You can get kits on amazon for tie dying as well

• Rajveer Gill

Which color exact comes from avocado pits?

• Mary Aycock

The only way I have ever gotten an avocado to sprout is to just stick it in a pot with another plant...water as usual...forget it's there...and months later, be totally surprised when a plant appeared! YAY!

As for the avocado dye...will have to start saving my seeds for this. I also love avocados! THANK YOU for experimenting with them! Great idea.

• Cc

Pretty sure you meant to say to use “TONGS” to put the material in the boiling water...Although “tongues” does add a little danger and excitement ;)