Free Craigslist Hutch! - UPCYCLE

$120
Advanced

This Midcentury 60s style hutch, was a free find on Craigslist! - I had a vision immediately for it! It was the perfect size for my dishes and cups in our new place we’re moving into. Vintage meets MCM meets farmhouse meets modern?! You choose ❤️ Let me know what you think !! ⬇️ Check out my Instagram for more projects ! ✨ALSO SUBSCRIBE ✨ to my blog!

Sneak peek! - BEFORE AND AFTER

Craigslist add photo

I was looking specifically for a hutch to makeover! I had only done 2 before this, and one was more of a buffet than a hutch, but as soon as I saw this I knew what I wanted to do with it! It was FREE - so I paid the guy to deliver it to my house since it was a few towns beside us, and a few hours later it was mine 😍

SANDING

since the hutch itself was going to be painted, it only needed a rough sand. So I used my 150 grit sanding block from homdepot and roughed it up.

Sanding completed

PRIME TIME

I used zinsser shellac based primer X1 coat

Painting time!

I used Country Chics crinoline & soire for this piece!

Crinoline white for the frame & shelves and soire for the middle and doors

Before the doors were painted

• sand doors
  • prime doors
  • paint doors

Dollarstore FAUX wood stickers

I used dollaramas faux wood stickers for the backsplash! Save paint and super cheap and easy to use!

Handmade doors

My brother in law created my exact vision for these doors I wanted! He used FIR WOOD, wood glue, table saw.

Stain

I stained the doors before he added the chicken wire

Miniwax provincial and special walnut stain

Chicken Wire 🐔

He used Tim snips and a staple gun for the chicken wire

Support beam and hinges

My husband added a support beam which I then painted, and we assembled the hinges and added the doors to the hutch. Along with knobs.

TOP COAT

Top coat everything!! Varathanes waterbase top coat

Completed!! 🙏

• Nixel

This cabinet is great. But was it really sanded in the house?

• Gloria Gatch

Where did you get the faux wood stickers? I have a hutch I bought quite cheaply because it has mirrors added to the back, it's not horrible, but I would like to cover it up, are these stickers thin or thick? There are a lot of gaps between the mirror design. Would love your feed back to weather you believe these would or wouldn't work on this broke up type of back on my hutch. You did a beautiful job, I love how this piece turned out. You picked some really nice colors and made this piece come to life.

• Gudrun Dockstader

I have this exact same hutch along with the table, four chairs, and buffet. They belonged to my parents and I love them just the way they are.

• J9sinclair

Absolutely beautiful! Keeping the “legs” helps t retain some of the mis century mode feel. The combo of styles gives it personality!!

• J9sinclair

auto fill butchered my previous reply, but you get the idea😉