Faux Wine Barrel Planter From Repurposed Fence Boards.

$0

I grow my herbs in a large plastic pot that has seen better days. Years of Colorado sunshine had dried and cracked the edges. I'd already planted my herbs and I have some perinnials in the pot, so I didn't want to replace it.

I'm in the midst of replacing my fence, so I thought I'd repurpose some fence boards to cover the planter.

Step 1: Prep

The offending tired old pot!

I measured the height, and then the circumference of the top and bottom of the pot.

I cut the boards to 18" lengths using a mitre saw.

The pot is narrower at the top than at the bottom, so I purposely chose a few boards that were split and tapered towards the bottom. To make a few more, I looked for boards with a strategically placed knots and broke them in half lengthwise.

Assembly

Once the boards were cut to height, I laid them out on a work table and arranged for color variation. I inserted a tapered board spaced evenly among the boards. I taped my measuring tape to the work table with painters tape for ease of accuracy.

Assembly

Using 4 lengths of floral wire salvaged from a holiday garland, I connected the boards by weaving them between the two wires - twisting twice between boards. I anchored the wires on screws at the end of the work table to maintain tension.

I wove the wires around the boards at the top and bottom until it was long enough to cover the pot.

To finish, I twisted the ends together on both ends.

To install, I wrapped the boards around the pot and twisted the wire ends together, cut off the extra wire ends and tucked them behind the boards for safety.

• Lucy Bruce-Whitaker

Would this work to cover a 5 gallon bucket that holds ice melt in the winter by my front door?

• Myrna Minton

Would wood flats used in delivery of large items work?

• Victoria Matus

Most definitely. Free wood pallets abound and you would be doing a community service to use this wood. .check out pinterest- wood pallets for even more great ideas.

• Krafty Mrs.K

Ooh and i have a whole fence that needs replacing. Well aged wood, lol. It would look good on a plastic rain barrel too

• Ruthe Farmer

Much better than all that wood going to a landfill. I’ve been thinking of how to make covers for my plastic window boxes too!

• Gillian Ramsay

I have some ugly blue barrels that I hate, this will mean they actually get up cycled.