Asked 16 hours ago

Painting Metal Swing-set?

Morgan McBrideVimarhonorKathy Gunter Law
+7

I recently acquired an old swing set that is structurally sound but needs some tlc. It has chipping paint and rusty spots. How do I go about cleaning and painting it?

16 hours ago

Wash it down with an all purpose cleaner. Scrape off any chipping paint. Sand any rust spots. Spray prime the chipped and rusted areas. Then spray paint with Rustoleum 2X spray paint for metal. Or paint brush with a good metal paint.

• Cindy
    16 hours ago

Hi Mel. Normally I say that to remove rust make a paste with salt and lemon juice. Put on the rust and wait at least an hour. Come back and wipe off. However, given that it's a swing set, it has a lot of round edges. I would use sand paper on the peeling and the rust too. Begin with a coarse sand paper - 80 grit, then 220 grit, and then with 400 grit for a nice smooth finish. Any Rustoleum paint for outdoors will work best. Good luck Mel. Be well.

• Peggy Burnette
    15 hours ago

Hi Mel, hope this helps you with you swing set. Good luck How to Refurbish a Metal Swing Set | Hunker

www.hunker.com › ... › Garden Furniture

Jul 17, 2017 - Is the old metal swing set lacking its like new charm? Take the time to ... Step 7. Sand all rusty areas to prepare the surface for spray paint.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    14 hours ago

Sand and clean rust off. Prime with Rustoleum rust converter the rusty areas. Then paint with Rustoleum exterior spray paint. Have fun.

• Homeroad
    9 hours ago

I would sand off the rust and splintered parts, seal the rust with an outdoor poly sealer. You can paint the swing set, metal and all with Fusion Mineral Paint. It comes in beautiful colors and sticks to wood and metal. It can be used outdoors but you may want to seal it again for protection.

• Johnavallance82
    6 hours ago

Hello Mel,

Use Hammerite ( can be applied over rust.) or Rustins Metal paint.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    6 hours ago

Stiff metal brush to remove all loose paint.

Lightly sand and clean with TSP or denatured alcohol.

Prime and paint, with spray paint. I like RustOleum brand.

• Vimarhonor
    5 hours ago

Hello. I’ve had experience be finishing a metal mesh patio set. Renovating this old patio was a favorable option as it seems a better quality than new alternatives now available at big box hardware stores.

The project requires a thorough sanding and cleaning prior to priming and painting. I favor the Rustoleum paint line. The Rustoleum universal series is particularly good and holds up well in outdoor circumstances.

Additionally if you do want top of the line paint product you might look at the automotive line that Rust-Oleum carries.

• Morgan McBride
    27 minutes ago

This is painting metal furniture but a good step by step guide https://www.charlestoncrafted.com/how-to-paint-metal-patio-furniture/