Moody Master Bedroom Slat Wall

$200
1 Week

We've been envisioning a moody green accent wall in our master bedroom for a while now. With summer just around the corner, we decided that this is the perfect time to jump into it! Scroll down to see how we created our newest accent wall. You can find additional details, tips, and sources on my blog!

Paint the wall

With a tightly spaced slat wall, I would highly suggest painting the wall prior to any woodwork. The paint color we chose was Windsor Green by Benjamin Moore.

Install baseboards (optional)

We made a new baseboard using 1 x 4 x 8 furring strip boards to match the slat boards. If you are keeping the existing baseboards, you can skip this step.

Cut the first few boards and figure out spacing

After some trial and error, we ended up going with 1 x 2 x 8 primed common boards and cut each board to size. We started with the boards around the window to figure out the spacing. Unfortunately, it wasn't a standard length so I had to make our own spacer: a random drill bit with painter's tape wrapped around once!

Paint the sides of the boards

In addition to painting the wall, I would recommend painting the sides of the slat boards prior to installation.

Install the boards

For each board, we spread the adhesive and nailed them in at the top, bottom, then as needed in the middle to fix any bowing or warping. We used the homemade spacer throughout this process.

Paint the front of the boards

I chose to paint the front of the boards at the end to save time. It worked out great!

The reveal

That's it! Head over to my blog for more details and tips on the project!

• Toyah

I have searched online and can’t find a good price on firring strips. Where should I get them?

i love it!!!

• C50GE

Buy a cheap table saw and cut them yourself. Watch you fingers. Learn what a push block is before you plug the saw in. Better yet have someone you know who has a saw and knows how to use it cut them for you.

• D

How did you do the ceiling?

• Heena - Bean & Gardn

We haven't done anything to the ceiling! It's a typical knockdown ceiling texture that we're leaving for now 🙂