Old Bike Makeover

$20

Every year in my small hometown a church group holds a huge yard sale , and I always make sure I go home to be able to attend it. The ladies that organize it know I am a diyer and tend to set things aside for me. One of my finds from last year was an old bike and an antique highchair. I never did anything with either except store them in my shed. I dug out the bike and decided it was time to do something with it. It was a perfect Saturday project.

Original Raleigh Bike 1954

So this was the original bike. It was in really good condition despite its age, but it has been in storage for many years. Using soap and water I washed down the bike to remove the excess dust it had accumulated and let dry.

History

I have to share this as I thought it was pretty cool. So the woman I bought the bike from is in her 70s and this bike belonged to her mother. In the small city where her mom grew up you had to register you bike with the bike guild. This is kind of like a licence plate. It has her name and address, the serial number of the bike and an ID number. Her mother had been a nurse and rode this bike to and from work everyday.

Paint Time

So the color I chose for the frame of the bike is called Ocean Mist. I wanted to keep the chrome fenders and the tires as is so I used plastic bags and cardboard to protect while spraying.

Painting

I lightly sprayed the frame , going back and forth in a light motion. It covered very well so I only needed to do one coat and it dried quickly.

New Paint Job

So this is the bike with the new paint color. I love how well it turned out.

Flower Time

I bought this hanging basket at a greenhouse and just cut off the hanger and placed it in the basket.

Project Complete

This was a simple and inexpensive project. I love that I was able to bring new life to an old bike and I am loving this color.

• Kim

I love this! I have always wanted one to put in my front yard.

I have a question. What did you do with the name/registration paper?

• Melanie

Thanks Kim. I am taking the registration plate back to the woman I bought the bike from with before and after pictures for her to keep.

• E95656

I have my bike ready to go. Recovering from hi psurgery. Can't wait to do this. Just lovely!