Glazing Furniture

$50

I recently found a beautiful bed with so many details. Unfortunately it was so dark they were unnoticeable. A little paint and glaze was the trick to making it one of a kind!

Cleaning is the first and most important!

Because this bed was so dark you did not notice all the dust hidden in the grooves. For ultimate results.. it's important to clean thoroughly with TSP. I then wipe clean any residue with a rag and clean water.

Prime

Since this bed had a very shiny surface I went ahead and used Sherwin-Williams extreme Bond primer. It's almost like glue for paint. Even though I planned on using a chalk style paint...I didn't want to distress so I wanted to make sure the paint stuck really well.

Paint!

I used two different colors of paint. One being my favorite called Dove Gray Retique It brand by Renaissance. And the other was Old White by Annie Sloan that I had left over from another project. I didn't worry about being too neat because I knew once I glazed it would all blend and you wouldn't see the lines between the colors.

Seal the paint.

This is very important when glazing. Make sure you seal after you paint.That way you can wipe off the extra glaze and it won't stain your original paint.

I find it really easy to use a sponge when applying polyacrylic. I'm able to get it into all the nooks and crannies without putting on too much.

(Note: my example is on a different piece so I could show close up)

Making Glaze

There are many ways to make glaze. You can buy a glaze medium and add your own paint, or even use a water based stain.this time I went ahead and used some black paint I had on hand and added a little bit of floetrol. It works perfect because it doesn't dry too fast. Also you can make any amount that you need. I probably used a quarter cup of paint to about 2 tablespoons of floetrol. Your consistency is personal preference.

Applying glaze

With a small brush I went ahead and brushed on the glaze getting into all the details.it's easier if you do small sections at a time.

Wipe off the extra glaze

After you apply the glaze have a damp rag or maybe even a baby wipe ready. Wipe off any extra glaze until you are happy with the look, leaving some behind in all of the crevices.

Finished!

After your glaze dries you can go ahead and apply another coat of sealer if you want.

I love the way this looks! Where it was once dark and dated... It is now a one-of-a-kind bed.

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty

To see more: //www.Facebook.com/EasternShoreChic

• Joanie
    Joanie

Very pretty. I would love to see it all together??

• Roberta
      Roberta

Sorry I don't have room in my shop to set it up quiet yet. And since it's for sale I can't drag it into the house. 😭

• Lori
    Lori

This beautiful.

When applying the glaze did you apply to the entire piece or just the details.

Great job.

• Lori
      Lori

Thank You that is what I thought.

Great job.

• Patti harris
    Patti harris

Love this!! Very helpful. So floetrol is a glaze? This would save $$ for sure. Also, Amazon says it’s oil based. Can you mix oil based with water based paint? I’m still learning here so this is great info. Thank you for sharing 🥰

• Sue
    Sue

This is absolutely gorgeous! Great idea. Thanks.

• Mitzy
    Mitzy

Absolutely gorgeous! Would've loved to have seen it all put together and decorated. Martha Stewart worthy! It's a good thing. She's my fav!

• Roberta
      Roberta

I am still working on my retail shop and it will be set up soon with pictures.. if you follow me on Facebook you'll see.😁 (Hopefully soon)