Faux Stained Glass Window Art

$10

Looking for a fun project for the kids? This faux stained glass window project is a fun way to dress up your windows, and easy to remove using Washable Finger Paint.

During quarantine I was looking for a fun way to entertain my kids. I had seen multiple people using this concept on concrete with sidewalk chalk so I gave it a try on our windows using washable finger paint that we had on hand.

Tape off your pattern

The first step is to tape off your pattern. I used basic painter's tape to tape off a geometric pattern across all of the windows.

Paint!

Using washable finger paint, we painted each section with different colors. A thin coat will dry quickly. If you want a deeper hue you can go back over the first layer once it's dry.

Remove the tape

When you're all finished, simply remove the tape! You're left with a gorgeous faux stained glass window. My kids LOVED this, and said it made them feel like they were in a castle!

From the outside, it's a very subtle view. We used it as a backdrop for a handmade sign I made to thank all of the essential workers!

I left our paint on for at least a few weeks. And because I'm a sloppy painter, there was even quite a bit that sat on my wood window trim during that time. All of it easily wiped off with window cleaner.

Have fun with it!

Jessica | The Martin Nest

• Cathy Corsaro Muhlbaier

Can you do that to a glass op table

• Wyldecent

You could if you do on the bottom of glass and use the unpainted side as the table side. Don't know how long fingerpaint will last or whether it will fade or not. You could do this with glass paint (look for tutorials that have been posted on this in Hometalk)

• Vickie Jones

Can this be permanent? If so what do I use?

• Annie

How do you make and attach a valance using a styrofoam board ?

• Sara Morrison

I did this about 3 months ago😆

• Itsmemic

I LOVE this idea ! I too use ArtScape window films from home depot....but this is a super easy way to use my own ideas !!