How to clean new build concrete basement floor?

Kathy Gunter LawHomeroadJohnavallance82
+7

• Dee

Scrub especially dirty basements with a cleaning solution.

If a concrete or concrete-block surface is especially dirty, add detergent and a quarter cup of ammonia to a bucket of warm water and brush the solution over the surface with a stiff nylon brush.

• Nan W.

Anita: congrats on your new place! Maybe this will help

https://www.cleaningmachine.net/how-to-clean-dusty-concrete-basement-floor/

• Mogie

For a gentle cleaner that won't harm untreated, painted, etched or sealed concrete flooring, a mix of a gallon of warm water and one-eighth cup of dishwashing liquid should pick up any dirt that has clung to the porous surface.

For seriously dirty floors, a mix of half a cup of baking soda with a gallon of warm water and one-eighth cup of dishwashing liquid will pull up simple stains as well as grime, pollen and dust. The baking soda will also help to remove any odors, such as those that can accumulate on outdoor concrete floors.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Here is some info to help you with this project. https://youtu.be/MNffnX3HmoM

• Cindy

Hi Anita. Dish soap and water is a good idea. Use a hard bristle broom to scrub with. Don't use any chemicals because it's not sealed yet. They could discolor it. Once clean, then seal it. Good luck Anita. Be well.

• Cynthia H

I would vacuum it really well before washing it. Use a mop and soapy water to get it nice and clean. I always go over it with a clean mop and water to remove any residue. Let it dry completely. I would seal it before it gets stained and/or dirty. Until you can, limit traffic or use runners to protect it. Good luck and stay safe!

• Johnavallance82

Hello Anita,

If it has not been sealed then you need to do that. First vac up dust then apply sealer coat or garage floor paint. Start at the farthest corner and work backwards.

It will be worth it in the end.

• Homeroad

I would paint it with cement paint. I just recently also added a painted throw rug on top of the painted basement floor.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can purchase concrete cleaner. That would probably be the best thing. If you want to DIY, you can try mopping with this:

1 cup baking soda

1 cup white cleaning vinegar

1 Tbsp blue Dawn

2 gallons hot water (I boil about 1/3 of mine)