Upcycle Old Jars With This Acrylic Pour Candle Project

$10

We all have tons of recycled glass jars lying around just waiting for the perfect project. This quick DIY will provide you with a matching set of candles and an acrylic paint pour canvas sure to blow away your guests. Create a few sets and give them as teacher appreciation gifts. It’s so easy to make a whole bunch that you could have DIY party decor done in no time. Personalize them according to the season, or according to your home decor. There are no limits! Check out my step by step tutorial to get started!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

• Empty jars (any old jar will use here)
  • Acrylic paint
  • Floetrol
  • Plastic cups
  • Canvas
  • Candle wax (I used recycled wax from old candles)
  • Wicks

Clean the Jars

Clean the Jars

Remove the labels from the jars and make sure to thoroughly clean them before you use them for this project. 

Tip:

Rubbing coconut oil on the labels and glue is a quick trick to remove any residue.

Prepare the Paint

Prepare the Paint

I started by filling my bowl with some of my pour paint. I have quite a few bottles of pour paint that I keep on hand for various projects. I mix acrylic paints with a paint conditioner called Floetrol and some water. This makes them more fluid and makes paint pour projects a cinch. If you are unsure of how much to use, a general ratio is about one ounce of paint for every 16 square inches of canvas. 

Pour the Paint

Place the Jars

I propped the jars up on plastic cups, and placed them on top of a canvas. This project is two projects in one! We’ll have the painted jars and a painted canvas when we’re done!

Pour the Paint

I poured the paint over the jars and let it sit for a few minutes so that as much paint as possible dripped off of the jars. As you can see, as I poured the paint the colors and design changed. This project is so much fun and you never get the same result twice!

Keep Pouring

I also flipped the bowl that I had mixed my paints in to get out every last drop.

Tip:

If there is a dip on the bottom of your jar make sure to tilt it to get any excess paint out before it dries.

Tilt the Canvas

Remove the Jars

Next I removed the jars and got ready to tilt my canvas.

Tilt the Canvas

I titled the canvas around a few times, making sure to touch up the sides so that they were completely covered.

Let Them Dry

Get the Edges

Give the jars and canvas a day or two to dry completely.

Make the Candles

Fill with Wax

I used recycled wax to make my candles. I melted old candles that friends had given me, which gave me a nice purple-grey color.

Insert Wicks

I used store bought wicks, but it’s easy to make your own with cotton string. I placed a wick in each jar and poured the candle. 

Acrylic Pour Candle Jars

I loved displaying these project sets together in my home. They also make excellent gifts that won’t break the bank! What colors would you use for your pour painting projects? Let me know in the comments below!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!

• Jacquie Bernhardsson

How did you get the jars off the canvas without messing up the poured paint on it?

• Michelle

They were on overturned plastic cups so you don’t have to touch the jar and mess up the paint

• Tracy Smallwood

So you mixed all the colors together and you don't mix up the paints then right!!!????

• Francine Musson

Your table looks like it has the same technique, but glossy? Is it epoxy or resin?