A Picnic Table Revival

$15

We have had these picnic tables for a while now and my friend Mary saw a picture of what we could do to revive it by adding color in a very unique way. I loved the idea.

This is how the looked before.

I first sanded the surface a little and then Mary added a dark brown stain.

After the stain was completely dry, she dabbed some white paint as a primer or background to make the colors stand out.

I taped the edge of the table and she started adding the different colors using multisurface acrylic paints mixed in a squirt bottle with some floetrol (which helps paint flow smoother and stay wet longer)

the idea is to squirt the paint on the table and then put a plastic sheet on top to blend them...

You can also spray a little water to help it along.

when putting the plastic, make sure you get someone to help you if you are doing it outside because the wind can be a pain

Here, Mary is softly spreading the colors with a big sponge over the plastic

Using your finger also helps spread colors where you want them

And here is where the magic comes! you peel off the plastic and voila!!

A few days later, we sanded the edges a little to remove the paint that accidentally spilled over and added the dark stain. When it was all dry, I applied a Boat varnish to protect it from the outside elements and give it a nice shine.

For the second table, we only did the center piece which is the lid of the cooler. I still have not added the handles.

months later...after a lot of rain, this is how they hold up. Pretty nice!!!

I am very pleased with the way they turned out because it gave my patio some needed color!!! Thank you Mary!!

• Janice

Great idea and thanks for posting! I love to see creative people CHANGE things up just for the fun of it. The second table with just a bit of the process added was an especially nice touch to your patio area. Keep on thinking up unique things to do. We need more o this in all of our lives.

• Mamamia

wow