Milk Painted & Stained Antique Oval Coffee Table

$50

Antique tables are so unique and deserve refinishing and new life don't you think?

Pop over to my blog for more free home decor and furniture tutorials. Be sure to sign up for my FREE emailed tutorial subscription.

Step 1 - strip

Using a paint and finish stripper I removed the original glossy shellac finish. Dispose of old finish safely. Clean the entire piece with simple green cleaner and water to remove years of grime.

Step 2 - sand

Then sand the top smooth to bare wood ready to stain. Wipe well with a microfiber cloth.

Step 3 - stain

I chose layers of Fusion Mineral Paint's stain and finishing oil starting with cappuccino, then ebony then 3 coats of natural to give a durable gorgeous grained surface.

Step 4 - Paint

I chose Homestead House milk paint in limestone for the solid wood carved base. Two coats worked beautifully to cover it.

View more milk painted projects I have completed. It is a great paint to work with especially on antique pieces.

Step 5 - sand and wax

To keep the vintage antique vibe it was sanded smooth and distressed. Clear wax wax brushed on then dark wax added to bring out the details even more.

Complete

The solid brass feet were polished back to a pretty shine and this girl was ready for many more years.

Staged

Th is unique one of a kind table is perfect for a coffee table or entry way table or anywhere you need an added piece of charm and function.

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Everything Red For Canada Day
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Creative Moments

• Leslie

Is that a Mahogany table?

• Leslie

It appear to be a Duncan Phyfe but I could be wrong. You should check underneath for any Makers Mark or papers still adhering to the wood. Also I think you should Google how to tell if it is Mahogany or not and research Duncan Phyfe, his furniture has the brass claw foot. It looks to be Mahogany but, I am not sure. Many beautiful antiques are lost to the "paint over everything" trend that is going on now and I would just like people to research their pieces before doing anything with them. I do understand if the piece is beyond help and needs to be fixed and I have seen beautiful outcomes on Hometalk, but these pieces that have nothing wrong with them I wish were not touched if undamaged. I am not trying to start an argument here. You have every right to do what you want with your piece I am just hoping that people will be a bit more careful before painting older pieces.