Create DIY Upcycled Wine Glass Charms From Water Bottles

$2

Don’t you love finding uses for things that normally get thrown away? These plastic bottle wine glass charms are the perfect way to make use of those water bottles destined for the recycling bin. I’ll show you how to make flowers from the bottoms of the bottles and leaves from the top, nothing goes to waste! Make a different colored flower for every glass so that nobody accidentally grabs the wrong one. This project is practically free so you can make one in every color of the rainbow! Check out my step-by-step tutorial to get started!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Empty plastic bottles
  • Craft knife
  • Scissors
  • Permanent markers
  • Candle
  • Floral wire
  • Hole punch
  • Wire cutters
  • Needle-nose pliers

Cut the Bottle

Cut the Bottle

I started by cutting off the bottom of the bottle with a craft knife. Over the years, plastic bottles have been made with thinner and thinner plastic, which works well for what we’ll be doing today. 

Looks Like a Flower

Take a look at the bottom of the bottle. It looks a bit like a flower and that’s just what we’ll be making! 

Cut Between Petals

Using my craft knife I cut along each “petal” to separate them.

Round the Petals

Then I grabbed some scissors and made the ends of the petals a bit more circular and flowery-looking.

Color the Flower

Color the Flower

I flipped the flower back over and colored all of the petals red with a permanent marker. 

Add a Black Center

I also added a little black center so that it looked like a poppy. 

Melt the Plastic

Melt the Plastic

I wanted the edges of the petals to curl up a bit, and I found that it was pretty easy to do with a candle. You don’t need to touch the flame, just hold the petals close to the flames and you’ll see them start curling and the color will start to darken. The first time I did this I totally melted my flower, so just be careful not to get too close to the flame.

Make a Leaf

Make a Leaf

Find a spot of smooth plastic on your bottle. For me this was at the top of the bottle. 

Color the Leaf

I cut out a leaf shape and then colored it green. 

Melt the Leaf

Then I melted the tip of the leaf just like I had melted the flower petals in the previous step.

Attach to a Wine Glass

Punch a Hole

Using a one-hole punch I punched a hole in the flower and in the leaf. 

Create a Hoop

Then I cut a short length of floral wire. Using needle-nose pliers I created a hook on one side.

Hook and Eye

Then I used my pliers to make an eye on the other side for the hook to sit in. This may not be the fanciest way to do it, but if it gets bent out of shape after a few uses it’s cheap and easy to make a new one with a bit more floral wire.

Add the Leaf and Flower

Then I thread the leaf and flower onto the wire ring I had made. 

DIY Wine Glass Charms

And that’s all there is to it, quick, simple, and basically free!

These DIY wine glass charms are the perfect conversation starter for your next party! How would you customize yours? Let me know in the comments below!

Sarah Vanderkooy

• Lailasultani

I love ur unique project. Can u use hot glue gun to stick it on the glass instead of hanging it in the bottom?

• Flipturn

Wine glass charms are meant to be loosely attached temporarily to the stem of the glass so people can identify which glass is theirs.

The charms are removed before the glasses are washed.

• Jerry roselli

How did it turn out ? Guest's liked glass so much that two glasses disappeared! I checked for breakage,....no way,...someone thought your idea was great !

1 comment