Outside Table Top Aquarium, No Water Needed

$25

Last fall I managed to get a steal on a couple of outdoors tables at Big Lots, that they were closing out for $5 each, in order to make room for their fall items & this is where my DIY project started in my mind. I put the tables away, & just pulled them back out last week. I am happy to report my 1st project vision, is now “finally” a actual reality 😁👍

& my 2nd table project idea will be following soon.

1st thing you will need to do is...

Find yourself a steal on a outdoor table, at a garage sale or on close out, or turn a old outdoor table into a new work of art.

Next You can choose to either...

Sketch your own patterns (which I did), or you can possibly purchase stencils, or even a Child’s coloring book & cut out different images to use on your table.

Now it’s time to add your images to tabletop

Take your image & tape it face down to your table, then flip the table over (bottom side of glass up) & trace your image onto your table. Once completed remove image & repeat, for as many images as you wish to add.

Now it’s time to paint

Again, you may choose to paint your images or you might even want to use paint pens or permanent markers to color in your image. (I chose to paint mine)

Once all your images have been painted or colorized, allow them to sit and cure/dry for about 24 hours to prevent any bleeding.

Once all images are cured take cans of spray paint and spray all over the bottom glass of table. (Including over the images you added, to give your table it’s water effect)

I used both Blue & Turquoise spray paints.

Finally, once the spray paint was dry, I added a coat of spray on clear coat to the bottom of the table to help protect the images & paint from any scratching.

Now, it’s time to enjoy ....

Add a patio or deck, a little sunshine, & a glass of lemonade & sit down & enjoy what you have created.

Just lovely

It’s bright, it’s beautiful, and it screams Summer

Hope you have as much fun as I did

Get creative, go for it ... this is one project most anyone can do.

you don’t necessarily have to be Artsy ... just able to trace and color.

Happy Summer everyone!

• Deanna Filippone

When you sprayed blue paint on top of the painted fish, why didn't the fish turn blue?

• Donna Schulz

See attached ... I stepped outside on the deck & snapped this photo of table looking at bottom. Hope this helps.

• Barbara Irene

Couldn't you just cut out pictures and decopauge them on, then spray with blue and seal it. That's for those of us who are not talented. Just saying!!!

• Donna Schulz

I’m not certain that the glue of the decoupaged would not yellow over time. Even if you can’t paint ... if you can color, you could use designs from coloring pages or clip art & trace them on & color them in with colored permanent markers.

• Bbunny

My coffee table has a rustic wrought iron base with a glass top that has been badly scratched up over the years. Does anyone have suggestions for a design for it? I don't have a specific living room theme and would like something to "go with everything" or should I just leave it scratched and remember how much fun my grandson had sorting his rocks and fossils there while he lived with me a few years and went to college? Thanks.

• Bbunny

Great idea, but rocks and fossils are his thing, not mine. However, he has a glass-topped table also and I will pass on this idea to his girlfriend who does a lot of craft work. Thanks!

• Ann Sutton

Got to find me a table!!!! I am always looking for something different and I love this. Perfect for where I live!

• Donna Schulz

Thank you, I’m so glad you liked it, & I hope you find a table to create your own soon. Good luck on your project

• Nancy

KUDOS! Wonderful project and great tutorial!