Dollar Tree Wood Block Lanterns

$6

Hello everyone! Does anyone love the Dollar Tree as much as I do? 🤗 One of my favorite things to do is to find ways I can use their products to create DIY home decor pieces! Who doesn’t love a beautiful but affordable project? I LOVE the way these wood block lanterns came out and ONLY $6!! So easy anyone can create them and they make the perfect indoor/outdoor centerpiece!

Here is a link to my YouTube video for a more in-depth look at how I created them! And a little added bonus of my DIY hammered copper planter 😉🤗

Let’s get started!

The first thing you want to do is grab those building blocks! I got these from the Dollar Tree, you get 36 blocks in each package. I used about 4 boxes to create both of the lanterns! Also, a great idea for repurposing an old game you have laying around!

Stain, Stain, Away

Before gluing them together, I stained the blocks using Early American from Minwax. I used the two toned blocks, but I believe the Dollar Tree also carries them in unstained natural wood. I wanted a more cohesive look to the blocks, so I stained them, but I think a nice coat of spray paint could look cool as well! 😊

Laying the Foundation

Once the blocks were completely dry, I started the base! To start, you want to take a glass vase and lay 5 blocks around the base on their sides, evenly spacing them out. I found this glass flower vase from the Dollar Tree! I swear they have everything! I picked up two of them in different heights one 7in tall and the other 9in tall, both around 3 1/2 in wide.

The Fun Part

Now that we have our 5 blocks evenly spaced around the bottom, we want to start adding the other blocks on top. To do this, I placed 2 beads of hot glue on either side of the wood blocks. You want to place the second layer of blocks over the gaps from the first layer, once again evenly spacing them out. We are essentially going to create a repetitive pattern. This part honestly is so fun and much easier then it looks! Crafting with toys is always fun! 😁

Firmly press the block in place and just keeping working your way up, one layer at a time! 🤗

You can see from the photo how it will start to look. 😊

I didn’t glue the blocks directly to the vase because I wanted to be able to remove it for cleaning. 😊

Easy Peasy!

Once you’ve worked your way up, that’s it! One block layer at a time! This was the larger of the two, and for the other shorter lantern, I just repeated the same process. 🤗

Beautiful Decor all from the Dollar Tree!

The way the light shines through them is just gorgeous at night time! Since they are contained in the glass vases, I added two pillar candles from the Dollar Tree. You could easily use a flameless-candle for the same effect! I have now made multiples of these, one set for inside and one for outside! I have received so many compliments from my neighbors on them! No one can believe they only cost me $6 to make both! Perfect! I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and it has inspired you to create your own! If you do, tag me on Instagram so I can see! 🥰 Don’t forget to check out my other projects on YouTube/Instagram both under Justin Wray. 🤗

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/justinwray/

• Teri

With the wood block project wouldn't the blocks that are attached with hot glue melt off once you light the candle inside?

Thank you

TS in Cali

• Justin Wray

I also had the same concerns but they have surprisingly held up quite well! Just make sure to glue the blocks to one another and not to the vase. ☺️

• Teri

I will definitely give this a try, however living in Hot Southern California hot glue will not stand up to our very hot weather. So may have to find something else to attach them with. Any ideas?

• Kat S.

E600 glue. Available on Amazon, Home Depot, etc.

• Trish Sykes

Hi - these look so effective! This is probably a stupid question, but I need to just check (before jumping in with both feet)...I’m assuming that the vase has to be a) round and b) straight (ie not curved/flared/fluted)

• Justin Wray

Yes it does! But I’m sure you could find a way to make it square as well! 😊

• Jamie Tyler Smith

I love this! I've been picking up a box or two of the jinga boxes every time I go to the Dollar tree. I didn't have a use for them yet, but now I do. The come in handy for elevating item while working on them. Now I'm going to have to go on line and order a case! LOL

• Miss Daisy

Love love love them , I can actually afford to co these. All I need is the chalk stuff , wood stain and spray paint. Can't wait to see your other creations . Thank you so much . I'm on a fixed income and disabled so I get excited when I can afford to do something.