Azalea ?

+8

This little shrub was doing pretty well and now the blooms seem to be dying. A very strange Bush as it has stalks and a few leaves? Should I cut back?

• Diane White Diane White on May 26, 2020

Forgot pic

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on May 27, 2020

Hi Diane, sorry you are having problems with your azalea. Hope this is helpful. If you have been over-watering your azalea or if heavy rains have occurred, your plant may be suffering from root rot disease. Caused by fungal pathogens of the Pythium and Phytophthora species, this disease is typically soilborne and development is encouraged by wet soil conditions.

Dying Azalea Flowers in a Garden | Home Guides | SF Gate

homeguides.sfgate.com › Garden › Pest Control

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 27, 2020

Azaleas can be trimmed in the fall until February. If they performing poorly, try dumping coffee grounds around the roots and feeding with a specific acid-loving formula. I use Miracle-Gro's for azaleas & camelias.

• Ellis Ellis on May 27, 2020

I like to use Holly Tone, which is a granular type plant food you place on the soil around the azalea and scratch it into the earth. Be careful not to damage the azalea's roots. Once your azalea is growing healthily, and soon after it blooms, you can cut some branches back and the azalea will branch out and become more full. You should not trim them back in the fall or winter unless you are willing to sacrifice the next spring bloom season.

• Darla Darla on May 27, 2020

The folks above pretty much covered it. Azaleas are an acid loving plant and if your soil doesn't have enough it can cause this problem. They also like well drained soil so if the dirt around it is boggy that could also be causing your problem. Azaleas should be planted with other acid loving plants if you've planted with plants that prefer a sweeter soil and are fertilizing for them (a general fertilizer) it will cause your azalea to leaves to drop and generally not do well.

• Treeservices Treeservices on May 27, 2020

I am totally agree with Darla

• Ana Ana on May 27, 2020

That's a rhododendron.

• Sharon Sharon on May 27, 2020

My azaleas thrive under the pine trees whose needles acidify the soil. I trim mine after they've bloomed at the top to keep them from getting leggy. I have a azalea hedge along the driveway I trim with hedge clippers to square it off.

• Diane White Diane White on May 28, 2020

Thank you to all!