How to waterproof old dresser?

Robyn GarnerPeggy BurnetteLindsay Aratari
+5

I need a cupboard in the garden for tools and fertilizer etc. How do you waterproof it?

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I think the best you can do is cover it with marine varnish, but it will not last very long - water will pool in spots and damage it. It will do better if you keep it under an over hang like a porch roof.

• Ken Erickson

You need to seal the bottom of the legs especially. I put plastic spacers (cut up cutting board) under table legs I built for my patio. A good exterior paint should help protect the rest of your dresser. Poly would also help.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Marine varnish will help to make it last longer. You could also paint with enamel paint. Think of home exteriors. Line the areas you will have fertilizer since it is corrosive or rot will happen quickly.

• Elizabeth

Thank you. Good cautions and advice!

• Libbie B

Paint with a good exterior paint and then but a few coats of poly on it. It won't be a forever fix but will help you expand the life.

• Lindsay Aratari

You could use outdoor paint and then put poly on top

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Elizabeth, hope this helps you make your old dresser waterproof for the outdoors.

How to Waterproof Outdoor Furniture {the EASY way ...

www.maisondepax.com › how-to-waterproof-outdoor-f...

Apr 1, 2015 - Need to protect your wood patio furniture? Find out how to waterproof outdoor furniture the easy way! Seriously, just a few minutes and you're ...

People also search for

• Robyn Garner

Paint the entire dresser (underneath, everywhere!) with exterior house paint. Allow to dry fully and then seal it everywhere with marine varnish. This has UV protectant in it to keep your paint color vivid and it is the best exterior sealant for wood. If you want this to last a long, long time I'd suggest you use a grill cover to keep it covered when not in use.