Tie Together a Hanging Planter to Keep Your Plants Safe From Pets

$15

Got a pet who keeps getting into your house plants? Then this project is for you. My cat kept getting into my house plants so I decided to throw together a coastal hanging planter to get my plants off the ground and out of her reach. This project is great if you’re going for that beachy vibe, but it can also stand alone as a stylish hanging planter. Check out my step-by-step tutorial to get started!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Driftwood
  • Plants
  • Scissors
  • Paracord
  • A base (I used a round piece of wood)
  • Fishing net (my piece was 3’x6’)

Attach the Fishing Net to the Driftwood

Wrap the Driftwood

Find the center point of the fishing net and and wrap one end over the driftwood. If this part isn’t totally exact don’t worry, try to get it as centered as possible but if it’s off by an inch or two it’s not a problem.

Fold the Paracord in Half

Fold the paracord in half, making a loop at the center.

Thread

Then thread it through the fishing net and around the driftwood. Make sure to get all three layers of the fishing net. 

Pull Through

Next pull the paracord through the loop you made. Pull it completely taut.

Pull Tight

Split

Then put one side of the cord to either side.

Loop a Single Paracord

Take one line, loop it again, and thread it through the fishing net, this time it’s only two layers. 

Pull Through Again

Take the remaining length of paracord and pull it through. I repeated this one more time on this side.

Pull Tight

Repeat

Then I repeated the process on the other side of the driftwood. Once I got to the end of the driftwood I pulled the paracord nice and tight and let it hang off to the side.

Bring Paracord Together

Next take both pieces of paracord and bring them to a point.

Create a knot

Put both together, loop over, through, and then pull tight to create a knot. You can also tie a normal knot, however this knot looks a little nicer and is more secure. 

Pull Taut

Tie the Fishing Net

Lay Out the Net

About 2 ½ to 3 feet down I gathered the fishing net, twisted it, and made a knot.

Make a Loop

Make a loop, put your hand through it, and then pull the rest of the fishing net back through the hole. This creates an adjustable knot. If you want you can add another knot to hold another plant. 

Pull the Net Through
Fishing Net Knot

Insert the Board

Insert the Board

I inserted the board right above the knot I had made in the fishing net. 

Wrap the Fishing Net

I wrapped the fishing net around the board and tied the edges together with some paracord.

Tie the Net in Place
All Secure

Add Plants

Add Plants

Add some plants and you’re ready to hang!

DIY Hanging Planter

The wooden base will weigh the planter down and prevent it from swinging too much in the wind.

What plants would you hang in this coastal hanging planter? Let me know in the comments below!

• Joanie

You knew they sell hangin' plant holders?

• Louise

I think handmade is much better! Everytime you see this cool hanging planter. You'll think I made that..ppl buy to much our days..

Pleased you enjoyed your beach day..Nice drift wood. Cool hanger you made, An you saved money so winwin all the way. Stay safe an well :)

• Ann

GREAT idea to keep your cat out of plants. I had the same problem solved with lemons my cats hate lemons put slices of lemon in pot of flower they stay away. Your idea is a good one will try it.

• Sharon Gott Griffin
    18 minutes ago

Wish I had seen this idea before my baby wild bunnies lunched on my Margarita Potato vine. I will make one of these now and keep them out. This is the first year I have had this problem. Normally I set all my different plants in their pots all around the deck but this year I spotted baby bunnies and a new kind of lizard, (Yuck) lunching on all my plants. Now I will not be able to use the table because I moved them all onto the table top. I hear something trying to jump from the spring loaded chairs trying to make the jump over to the table, but so far they have not made it. Ha