Learn How to Quickly Repair Scratched Leather With a Kit

$90

Pets and leather do not mix. I can’t tell you how many times my cat has scratched my leather armchair. But I wasn’t willing to give up my beloved armchair, or my cat for that matter. I have a quick fix for all of those scratch marks made by pets, kids, or just by accident. By using a leather repair kit I can get all the things I need to fix my chair without having to run all over the hardware store to find them. Want to learn how to do it yourself? Follow my step-by-step instructions and soon your couch will be looking as good as new!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Beat up leather furniture
  • Repair compound kit (I used one from Heirloom Traditions Paint. This kit has everything you need to repair leather)
  • Frog tape
  • Sandpaper

Prep Your Piece

Tape Off the Wood

Lay down a drop cloth to make sure that no paint gets on the floor under the chair. Tape off any wooden parts of the chair. I taped off the legs with Frog tape. This makes it easier to paint without having to worry about accidentally getting some on the wooden parts of your couch.

Clean

Then I cleaned my chair. I used a repair kit from Heirloom Traditions Paint which came with a cleaning compound. This compound gets rid of any debris, dust, build-up, or dirt. I wiped down the entire chair with the compound and then I was ready to address the cat scratches. 

Repair

Repair

Take a look at your piece. If there are deep scratches where the leather has peeled up a bit, take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and knock down any bits that might get stuck in the paint.

Spread It On

Using the Bond-N-Flex product and the scraper tool, I spread a layer of the material over the part of my chair with the scratches. Make sure to layer it on thick enough to cover all of the holes so that you don’t have to do this step twice. Be liberal with the product and make sure to really get it in there. 

Smooth

Smooth

I wet my glove a bit and smoothed down the surface to make sure that there were no bumps or ridges. This is important because if there are any imperfections they will show when you paint the color on in the next step. 

Smooth with Your Hand

Once I had smoothed everything out I let it dry completely.

Let It Dry
Sand It Down

Using 120 grit sandpaper I knocked down any bumps or raised bits of Bond-N-Flex. This step is super important to make sure that the leather is as smooth as possible. This will help you get that supple leather feel that we’re going for. 

Paint

Shake the Paint

Using the Restore Coat Flex Paint from the kit I have, I painted the chair, starting with the damaged parts. Make sure to mix it up really well before you start painting.

Paint It On

I painted the chair with an even coat of the Restore Coat Flex Paint. Because my chair is dark and this paint is light, I needed to apply a few coats of paint to get an even color. 

Get the Cracks

Make sure to get in all of the cracks and creases of the leather. And yes, you need to paint the entire chair! This is a great way to make the color match your decor a bit better if it didn't already. It may take you a day or two, but this is a great weekend project. 

Smooth with a Brush Roller

Once I had applied a few coats I used a paint roller to roll out the paint. This got rid of any brush strokes from painting with the brush. Do this a few times until you get a good, even coat on the whole chair.

Don't Miss Any Spots

Leather Repair Kit
DIY Leather Scratch Repair

Repair Scratched Leather Chair

Then let it dry and you’re done! This is a great way to not only fix up a damaged chair, but to also change up your decor a bit if you are looking for a new vibe. Have you ever repaired damaged furniture? Let me know in the comments below!

• Ginger Hand

Is this for bonded leather or top grain leather?

• Ginger Hand

I have a sofa with top grain on the parts your body touches, but back & sides are bonded leather. I knew top grain was more durable and this seemed like an economical option. The top grain is in excellent condition even with 2 dogs, but the bonded is cracked and flaky. Just hoping this kit can help repair this.

• Brenda Tatro

Could you tell us exactly which kit you bought? None of them on Amazon seem to match up with the pictures. Also is more than one kit needed? Thanks

• Steff Blue Eyes

What do you do to keep the cat from scratching it again?

• Tina

Someone said strips of tape works. I used a misting bottle of water to get my cats to give up the countertops

• Maureen

Great idea. Your chair looks amazing and brand new.

• Tonya

Good as new!!! What Moe can he ask for!!!! tfs!