Turn a Dollar Store Vase Into an Aged Faux Stone Planter

$15

Got an old chipped vase lying around? Don’t throw it away! This plaster Dollar Store vase project will take your cracked vase from trash to treasure! In no time at all you can have a faux stone planter that looks like it’s been around for ages. This faux stone plaster technique can be used on vases, planters, even lawn ornaments. Follow our step-by-step tutorial to create your own faux stone planter!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Plaster (We used Perfect Plaster but Plaster of Paris works as well)
  • Sand
  • Cold water
  • Glass vase
  • Grey paint
  • Green paint
  • Paint brush
  • Paper towel or coffee filter

Mix the Plaster

Mix the Plaster

It’s important to use cold water when mixing plaster. We’ve found that when you use warm water the plaster tends to harden faster. 

Use Cold Water

This part is kind of trial and error, add water slowly until you get the plaster to the right consistency. 

Right Consistency

We’re looking for a thin frosting consistency that looks like this.

Add Sand

Then I added some fine sand to the plaster. This adds texture to the piece and gives it an aged look.

Apply the Plaster to the Glass

Apply the Plaster to the Glass

Next I spread the plaster onto the vase. 

Spread the Plaster

I slowly applied a thin layer all along the sides with my hands.

Add Plaster to the Rim

Then I dabbed a layer along the rim on top once I had finished with the sides. Don’t worry too much about glass showing through as we’ll fix that up in the next step.

Coat Completely

Smooth It Out

Add Thicker Plaster

I went back and did another coat of plaster with a bit of a thicker plaster to make sure that there were no bits of glass showing through. I wanted mine a bit smoother, so I dipped my hands in water every now and then to smooth it out. 

Let Dry

Then I let the pot dry completely. You’ll see the color change from grey to white as it dries.

Paint

Paint

I wanted to mimic granite, so I mixed up a few different shades of grey. 

Paint a Base Coat

I painted the entire pot with the light grey first. This would create a base for me to build depth and dimension on after.

Add Dimension

Then I pounced some of the medium grey onto different spots on the pot to add some dimension.

Blend with a Coffee Filter

You can also do this with a wet paper towel or coffee filter to add some depth.

Add More Dimension

Add Dark Grey

Next I focused on some little crevices and pounced the darkest grey onto the pot. 

Blend

Make sure to take a paper towel or coffee filter to blend the dark paint so that it doesn’t stand out too much. You don’t want it to look splotchy.

Add Moss

Rocks in nature often have some moss on them, so why shouldn’t my stone planter? I tapped a bit of olive green paint along the edges and corners and blended it in.

Dab

DIY Faux Stone Planter

That’s all there is to it! Who would know that this aged looking planter is actually brand new! We’ve used this technique on vases and even on a ceramic bunny! What would you age with this technique? Let us know in the comments below!

DIY Faux Stone Vase

15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Sunny Side Design

• Gail

I like your work! How long have you had these? Are they holding up well? Crumbling at all? I am thinking the paint also acts as a bit of a sealer for inside things. I may try thiis outside on a large plastic pot that i wish was something nicer>>>>>>>Then I would need to seal. Not much invested but time so I'll give it a try. I love that is is stuff I always have on hand.

• Sunny Side Design

Hi Gail. Th paint does act as a bit of sealer. We have only had them in the house and they are holding up well. If you do put it outside we would recommend an exterior sealer. Let us know how it goes. We’d love to see.

• Barb

Did you plaster the bottom?

• Sunny Side Design

Good question Barb.

We did not put plaster on the bottom. We figured it would never show. But you sure could.

• Kathy

How does it hold up outside? Can it be done to a plastic pot?

• Sunny Side Design

It can be done on any pot. We have not exposed it to the elements. So we are not sure how it would hold up. Possibly it could be sealed with an exterior sealer.