Tsp stripping my latex paint?

Joy ElizabethJerryAgnes Chrzanowska
+8

I am using Tsp to clean and degrease my Orange peel textured wall that was already painted with interior latex. The plan is to skimcoat over the paint and original texture to change to a smooth texture wall. The paint is peeling though. I applied tsp and rinsed it off with a damp rag. I just want to prep it for texture

• Flipturn

Tsp (trisodium phosphate) is used to clean grease and residue off of walls before painting. If your wall covering is textured paint, tsp will not be effective enough in removing the texture so that the wall is smooth. Scraping the textured paint off will be necessary.

• It sounds like you're going to have to sand the walls to remove any loose paint. Once that is done, you should be able to skim coat the wall.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I would run a scraper over it to remove any peeling paint first. Then lightly sand with fine grit, use a sanding block for ease. Then you should be ready to go.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree with the other answers, I would hit the wall with some sand paper and a hard bristle brush just to get all that pealing paint off first before skim coating - than you should be good to go!

• Simple Nature Decor

You have to start from scratch otherwise it won't work. I had the same thing happen to me.

I agree with removing as much loose paint as possible. Sandpaper, stiff brush, garage broom should work. Prime the walls with Kilz primer to seal them. Then your ready to skim coat.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree. I would try to sandpaper off the old paint first. I'd use a tack cloth or something to make sure the wall is clean first before trying to prime it and then paint.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

Your best bet is sandpaper and primer.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Sandpaper and primer will for sure help .. I agree with all

• Jerry

If you are going to skim coat it, you don't need to sand the "bumps" down. Paint the walls with an oil based primer, then when you apply the skim coat and latex paint, the water from those two materials won't get through the primer to affect the original paint.

• Joy Elizabeth

No need to sand. Scrape off anything peeling really loose, then prime with oil based like original kilz. Then you are ready to skimcoat.