Spray painting a chair?

Michelle LeslieAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeBecky at Flipping the Flip
+6

Hi , I have a brown wooden dining room old chair, still in good condition, my question is can I use a can of brown 2x spray and primer paint all in one to spray paint it without doing anything else.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Rosetta, is it a semi gloss or high gloss? I would make sure its not a satin for a dining room chair, it would make the chair harder to clean. It should be OK honestly I would still rough the chair up a little with sandpaper first and then, after painting, I would spray paint it with a polycrylic just to make sure it lasts.

• Janice
    Janice

Yes, just do two or three very light coats of spray paint and you should be fine. Have fun!

• Yes but you should clean it really well first to make sure there is no dirt or greasy fingerprints because the paint might not stick well.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

It depends - will the chair get much use? If so it will get scraped often and the paint will come off. Preparation is super important. Lots and lots of sanding needed for the paint to stick.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

You will need to at least clean it. I would use TSP and then I think you will be okay. Be prepared to do multiple coats.

William

Clean it well. Lightly sand it with 200 grit sandpaper to remove any shine. Then spray paint it in several light coats. Allow each coat to dry.

• Definitely clean it and give it a light sanding so the paint will adhere better, but yes, you can spray it.

• technically yes but for best results clean any oils etc off of the chair. A light sanding will also help the paint stick better. Make sure the spray paint is made for wood.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Rosetta, to ensure a lasting finish I would sand the chairs lightly first before painting. It just gives the paint something to grip onto.