How to Make DIY Summery Planter Pots

$15

Summer’s around the corner, and that means it’s time to make some affordable DIY planter pots to spruce up your front porch and home interior.

Follow along on this simple tutorial showing just how easy it is to make a DIY pineapple and girly face planter of your own.

Gather your supplies

• Terra cotta pots in various sizes
  • Yellow spray paint
  • White spray paint
  • Gold spray paint
  • White paint marker
  • Pink paint marker
  • Black permanent marker
  • Faux or real succulents
  • Cactus soil
  • Rocks

Let’s start with the pineapple planter

Start by painting your terra cotta pots to your desired color. I started painting mine with acrylic paint, but changed my mind and went for spray paint instead since it is a much glossier and cleaner finish. It also saved quite a bit of time. You’ll want to do 2-3 coats.

Once dry take your white paint marker and draw angled lines from the top to bottom of your pot in one direction.

Once you have wrapped all the way around, go in the opposite direction. Make sure to connect the top lines.

You really can’t go wrong. The more imperfect the lines are, the better in my opinion. Even six-year-old Vivienne got in on the action.

I drew faint lines with an ink pin for her to trace. She’s making her flower pot for her adopted grandmother Sandy, who lives in a nearby nursing home.

Once you have all lines made, you’re already ready for the next planter style—the face planters!

For the girly face planters, spray the terra cotta pot in your desired colors. I used white and a bronzy gold.

Once dry take your permanent marker and draw your eyelashes. Start with a “U” shape.

Add 4-5 eyelashes.

Repeat on the other side and then grab your pink or red toned paint marker for the lips.

Draw a heart in any size you wish, then color it in.

If you want to add the rosy cheek look take a non-permanent marker (not on the supply list) and mark a small circle in the cheek area.

Rub it in a circular motion with your finger.

Repeat on both sides until you’re happy.

Repeat these steps on any other planters you want to make. I love how the bronze gold one turned out.

Now it’s time to add your plants to your DIY summery planter pots!

I purchased some real succulents from the Lowe’s by our house, but you can also use faux succulents if you have a green thumb.

Add some soil to the pot and simply add each plant.

If you like the rock cactus look you can add in some small rocks to the top—these also help with drainage.

Repeat these steps on all of your pots and there you have it—your very own handmade DIY summery planter pots. People love these festive pots and they’re perfect for any type of gift.

What do you think? Will you be making your own? If you do I’d love it if you’d tag me on Insta, Twitter, or Facebook photos so I can see how they turn out! I’m always so very thankful when you Pin my work as well.

Audrey Kuether

• Nancy
    4 hours ago

This gives me a GREAT idea for my husband's Venus Fly Trap & my potted herbs (basil, chive & tarragon). What great inspiration! Thank you!!!😁

• Nancy
    An hour ago

I was terrified when "the box" arrived in the mail! I thought my husband was trying to tell me something😳🥴🤣.