How to Paint Wicker and A Wicker Chair Makeover

$0

*Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Colorshot, however, all options are my own.

I have painted a lot of wicker in my days and so today, I wanted to share with you some of the tips and tricks that I have learned over the years.

Here is a short video to go along with my post today.

Let's just begin with my biggest tip ever and that is to Always, Always, Always use spray paint when painting wicker.

Spray paint allows you to really get into all of the weaves of wicker better than any other paint that I've tried.

As far as spray paint goes, there really are ones that are better than others. I really like the spray paint from COLORSHOT. This spray paint covers really well.

COLORSHOT offers so many beautiful vibrant colors to choose from. For today's project, I decided on a color called, Shark!!!.

Their colors all have fun names too :)

I've had this old wicker rocking chair for years now and I thought that it would be a perfect candidate for today's post as I share my step by step guide for painting wicker.

The white finish on this wicker rocking chair was looking really worn and dated and so I felt like it could really use a fresh modern makeover.

Step 1. Clean Wicker

Before you get started painting, you want to first give the wicker a quick cleaning. I have found that a kitchen scrub brush works perfectly for getting into all of the nicks and crannies of the wicker.

It's easy for dirt to get stuck into the weaves so just give the wicker a quick brush off and you should be good to go.

Step 2. Layout Cardboard

I love to use old pieces of cardboard under anything that I spray paint.

Not only does it protect the ground underneath from getting painted, but it also provides a clean, flat work space for you to paint on.

Sure, you can use plastic sheets or newspaper but I really like to use cardboard the best.

So the next time you get a package that has large pieces of cardboard, hold on to them and then when you are ready to paint something, you'll be happy you did.

Step 3. Apply spray paint from every angle

Painting wicker is a little bit different than painting other surfaces. Because wicker has so many layers and weaves, you really have to approach it from all angles. Begin by lightly spraying with long even strokes to get the first coat of spray paint on. Once the first coat has dried, repeat the process but spray in the opposite direction than you had before.

Step 4. Turn your wicker upside down.

It's always a good idea to turn your wicker upside down and spray everywhere where you may have missed before. This will also allow you to spray the wicker at another angle to reach areas that you may have missed before. 

Step 5. Apply a Sealer

It's always a good idea to apply a sealer to seal and protect your wicker when you are finished.

If you plan to have your wicker outdoors then definitely don't skip this step. A good sealer will give a layer of protection from the sun, rain, and other outdoor elements. I really like this Clear Sealer from COLORSHOT.

And just for reference, for this wicker rocking chair project, I used three cans of spray paint and one can of the sealer and it took two days to complete. I gave it plenty of time to dry between coats.

Are you ready to see how it turned out?

I love how my wicker chair makeover turned out.

The Grey color is beautiful and the finish is so nice and smooth.

I removed the pink slipcover that came with the chair and I replaced it with a white slipcover. This white slipcover is actually from a white Ikea Ektorp sofa that I'm not currently using on my sofa.

The spraypaint that I used is made for indoor/outdoor but I choose to bring my chair indoors and place it in our sunroom. This room has a lot of windows so it's nice to rock in the chair and enjoy the view and fresh air.

Okay, if you need me, I'll most likely be hanging out in here from now on :)

So what do you think?

Isn't it amazing how much a few cans of spray paint can totally transform a piece of furniture?

You can find more of my home and projects on the blog,

The Wicker House.

You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.

Emily

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
The Wicker House

• Linda

This Came Out Gorgeous!!!

❣❤🥰

• Sunil Gupta

Thanks a lot. Would I need primer to change wicker color from dark brown to light teal

• Auqanetta

how do repair the wicker my cats and they have done quit a job on it. what can i do to fix it

• KB

Beautiful save! Wicker is so timeless!

• Joanie

This is over the top!! Beautiful wicker and cushion.........I LOVE it!!....Great job!!