Faux Brick Kitchen Backsplash

$140

Finding the perfect backsplash look for our kitchen Reno was a little hard not to mention everything we liked seemed a bit on the expensive side. I decided to try to tackle this myself in a few simple steps.

Step 1 Taking measurements and gathering material

After measuring, this wall will have a little more detail involved. I will be using a 4x8 sheet of brick paneling From homedepot to achieve the backsplash look I wanted.

Step 2 Interlocking sections

This section of the the wall was a little over the 4 foot mark so I had to section this into 2 pieces. In order to do this I aligned the 2 brick sections and cut the brick sections out in order to interlock them for a seamless look.

Step 3 installation

After cutting and test fitting I then spread construction adhesive on back of panel using a caulk gun. After positioning I secured in place using 3/4 finishing staples.

Step 4 Aligning

Second section was then positioned and secured into place using the same process. You can see where the two pieces interlocked this will be covered later.

Step 5 Whitewash secret

Using a 20 min quickset drywall compound I mixed and added water to achieve the consistency of pancake batter. After the batch was well mixed I then spread this over the faux brick using a 6 inch putty knife. No particular pattern just random and even as possible.

Step 6 Adding detail

You can see once the compound has dried you can no longer see where sections were seamed. In this step you can take a damp rag and wipe off random sections of brick to add some color pops for detail.

Step 7 Final step

Now that you have achieved the look you want it is a good time to add a top coat. I used a water based polycrylic. This clear top coat was brushed on and makes the backsplash easily wipeable for clean up. Do not use an oil based poly coat here it will yellow your whitewashing.

Step 8 Repeat all steps

Repeat all steps on remaining walls and cook a nice dinner with all the money you saved while you enjoy all of your hard work.

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July

• Is it waterproof ? Can I wash if stained ?

its a fantastic job you did here...a big bravo...perfect farmhouse decor. I love it

• Mike
      Mike

It is washable and wipeable after you achieve the look and apply the top coat it can be wiped down just as easy as any other surface

• Lily Leung
    Lily Leung

Hi,

This is such a fabulous idea! I especially like the whitewashed effect. I noticed that you did this over drywall. Can this be applied on smooth tiles? Behind a stove?

• Mike
      Mike

You could probably stick to the tole using a good construction adhesive if you didn’t want to remove the tile I don’t see why not

• Mary Tarrero
    Mary Tarrero

How did you do the wood around the island. Do you have a video.

• Mary Tarrero
    Mary Tarrero

I love everything in this kitchen. But I want that wood around the island do you have a video or something how you did it. I'm in the middle of remodeling mine.

• I used wallpaper and many people think it's real brick, much easier and cheaper! Yours is pretty as backsplash, but I have granite so this works best on walls!