Faux Brick Kitchen Backsplash

$140

Finding the perfect backsplash look for our kitchen Reno was a little hard not to mention everything we liked seemed a bit on the expensive side. I decided to try to tackle this myself in a few simple steps.

Step 1 Taking measurements and gathering material

After measuring, this wall will have a little more detail involved. I will be using a 4x8 sheet of brick paneling From homedepot to achieve the backsplash look I wanted.

Step 2 Interlocking sections

This section of the the wall was a little over the 4 foot mark so I had to section this into 2 pieces. In order to do this I aligned the 2 brick sections and cut the brick sections out in order to interlock them for a seamless look.

Step 3 installation

After cutting and test fitting I then spread construction adhesive on back of panel using a caulk gun. After positioning I secured in place using 3/4 finishing staples.

Step 4 Aligning

Second section was then positioned and secured into place using the same process. You can see where the two pieces interlocked this will be covered later.

Step 5 Whitewash secret

Using a 20 min quickset drywall compound I mixed and added water to achieve the consistency of pancake batter. After the batch was well mixed I then spread this over the faux brick using a 6 inch putty knife. No particular pattern just random and even as possible.

Step 6 Adding detail

You can see once the compound has dried you can no longer see where sections were seamed. In this step you can take a damp rag and wipe off random sections of brick to add some color pops for detail.

Step 7 Final step

Now that you have achieved the look you want it is a good time to add a top coat. I used a water based polycrylic. This clear top coat was brushed on and makes the backsplash easily wipeable for clean up. Do not use an oil based poly coat here it will yellow your whitewashing.

Step 8 Repeat all steps

Repeat all steps on remaining walls and cook a nice dinner with all the money you saved while you enjoy all of your hard work.

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Is it waterproof ? Can I wash if stained ?

its a fantastic job you did here...a big bravo...perfect farmhouse decor. I love it

• Mike

It is washable and wipeable after you achieve the look and apply the top coat it can be wiped down just as easy as any other surface

• Lily Leung

Hi,

This is such a fabulous idea! I especially like the whitewashed effect. I noticed that you did this over drywall. Can this be applied on smooth tiles? Behind a stove?

• Mike

You could probably stick to the tole using a good construction adhesive if you didn’t want to remove the tile I don’t see why not

• Mary Tarrero

How did you do the wood around the island. Do you have a video.

• Karla Hardy Johnson

I am so glad I ran across this as we are redoing our whole kitchen during this horrible times. We had already punched a large hole between our two living rooms and put up "glass barn doors". When we saw your design we decided to steal it. We have ordered mini barn door track for the island front and will do the shelves there, we are using your X idea for the side same as you did using the lap and gap. I will post pic's when we get it done. Thank you for all the awesome ideas!

• Mike

No problem awesome to be an inspiration keep me posted I look forward to seeing some pictures if you need any input or any other details feel free to reach out

• Mary Tarrero

I love everything in this kitchen. But I want that wood around the island do you have a video or something how you did it. I'm in the middle of remodeling mine.