How to deal with a large comforter ?

+14

Dear home talk I have a perfectly good comforter that I don’t want to put on my bed any ideas to put it to good use?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on May 29, 2020

Hi Theresa, it might make a great dog bed!

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on May 29, 2020

How about as a picnic blanket?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on May 29, 2020

Throw it on the sofa back to add a splash of color as well as a nice, quick grab when you are cold.

• CJ CJ on May 29, 2020

Hi Theresa!

If you want to keep the comforter would you want to hang it on the wall? It can be stapled to a piece of lumber, perhaps a 1" X 2" board and hang the board with cords, straps, etc. tied to the ends of the 1X2. Another 1X2 could be attached to the bottom top help it hang flat, next to the wall.

You could advertise it for sale.

You could throw it over your sofa for a different look.

If your comfortor is old and worn it could be used as a ground cover for a picnic or a picnic table cover

Use as a drop cloth for messy projects, etc.

You could cut it into smaller pieces to make pillows or to frame a few to hang on a the wall.

Hope this helps.

• Beth Beth on May 29, 2020

I would save it and cannibalize it when you need stuffing for other things, like couch cushions or pillow that are droopy.

• I would just donate it

• Annie Annie on May 29, 2020

Instead of cutting it up, why not bring it to your local thrift store for a donation? Especially if there is nothing at all wrong with it, someone would like it

• Maura White Maura White on May 29, 2020

How about a backdrop for photography? I did that once for one of mine that I still liked, but it was just worn out. Or use the material to make pillows or pillow cases? Or if you are a camper - just use it on camping trips!!

• Ellis Ellis on May 30, 2020

It can come in handy if you have a sofa bed--the mattresses are rarely thick enough to be comfortable. Put the comforter on, then your bedsheets, and your guests will be much more comfortable. If you know someone who has a baby, it makes a great floor cover for baby to play on.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on May 30, 2020

I would donate to someone that needs it

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on May 30, 2020

You can make large comfy pillows from it.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide Lauren of Mom Home Guide on May 31, 2020

I agree - you could make a big envelope pillow case and fill it with the comforter to make a large floor pillow. This is a tutorial on how to sew an envelope floor pillow. (You would have to make your pillow cover larger.) https://momhomeguide.com/sew-easy-envelope-pillow-cover/

Or, you could even use the big pillows you make (by filling an envelope pillow cover with your comforter) on your bed - it would be something soft to lean on while reading in bed.

• You could stuff a bean bag chair with it.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on May 31, 2020

You could cut it into small throw blankets cover pillows

• You could donate it if you no longer want it.

• Hi1954 Hi1954 on Jan 25, 2021

You could donate them to a animal shelter. They can cut them and sew them into sleeping pads for dogs and cats.