Popcorn Ceiling Update

$40

I have popcorn ceiling throughout my home. I have been wanting to update and decided to try wood planks. I wanted to try out in small space to perfect my skill, so I chose a small bathroom. Be careful to really check the boards when purchasing. You want the ones with the best look and grip.

Mark studs

Since I planned on nailing directly over ceiling, I marked the location of studs in ceiling. I trimmed the first board so that it would be a full board and then planned on staggering boards on even rows.

Additional rows

I started with the leftover piece from first cut and cut another board to needed length. I used finishing nails and nailed to studs I had marked earlier.

Continue adding boards

I continued adding boards and trimmed them to fit around ceiling vents and light fixture. I used a miter saw to make the cuts.

Finish nailing board

I was expecting that I may need to trim the width of the last board but it actually fit perfectly. It may be necessary to trim the last board before hanging.

Trim

Next I added trim. I chose a simple l-shaped trim that would add support to boards on ceiling.

Whitewash boards

I wanted white boards but wanted to allow wood grain to show through. I used white interior latex paint and watered it down to achieve a whitewash look.

Add paint as needed

It took 3 coats to get the look I wanted.

Before/after

I am pleased with how it turned out. It was not difficult and now I will use this and maybe a few other techniques to do the rest of my ceilings.

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Leslie

Hi Michael, This is a great idea, thank you for sharing it. I have a narrow hallway I might do this too. I was wondering if a nail gun would work or even construction adhesive that has a quick grip to it. Did you think to use these alternative attachment methods and if you decided not to may I ask why? Thank you for taking the time to answer.

• Evie

Keep in mind that dark boards in a ceiling will make a room dark, even with good lighting. In any room especially a small one the lighter the wood the less claustrophobia will take over!!

• CJ Mac

If you live in SW Florida and termites are often showing up, is it possible that they will munch on the boards??

• Robyn Garner

I had a damaged small bathroom ceiling that needed to be repaired. I used beadboard because the width worked in the small room. This was easy to do because I merely had to cut the large piece to the proper width, adding to it from the first section. You may want to consider using beadboard also because you will have far fewer cuts to make. Also, because this was done using large sheets (started with 4'x8' sheet) I was able to put it up using screws into the studs. I left it the stained wood color I purchased, I merely painted the screw heads with nail polish that matched the wood stain. Another plus to doing it this way is that it's easily removed in the future should you decide to re-drywall.

Definitely use an exhaust fan!!! But, this method keeps most of the moisture from being able to get behind the wood. If you're concerned, you can caulk around the edges of the room.

• Merri

does This work well in a steamy bathroom? What do you suggest to seal the wood?

• Pmono7690

We use a plastic bead board we found in Home Depot for a bath area. No moisture problems with it.