The first thing I did was sand the top, using an orbital sander. I got all the old stain off using 80 grit paper and then I followed up with a 220 grit to smooth the surface. I LOVE the wood grain that was underneath!
Vintage Table Make-over
I found a little table at auction that was the perfect size for an additional landing pad for our parakeets’ cage. I’ve been having trouble finger training our birds, so I like to bring them to whatever room I’m in so they won't be insanely bored and will hopefully learn to trust me!
So back to the vintage table: It was pretty dark and drab. And the stain had seen better days.
I cleaned the legs and little ceramic castors, using TSP cleaner/degreaser. Then I painted the legs with a coat of primer.
I could see a lot of bleed through, so I decided to try a tip that I learned from fellow hometalkers – I sprayed the legs with Diamond Wood Finish. This is the closest I could find to Shellac here in Canada. (I covered the castors with saran wrap to avoid getting spray on them.) Then I did a second coat of primer…and no more bleed through. Yeah!
Then I painted the legs light grey – two coats.
My original plan was to glaze the legs with a dark charcoal to make the details pop. But after I finished the first leg, I really didn’t like it!! It just looked dirty. I think I may have added too much paint to the glaze. Either way, it sucked!
So I re-painted that leg with the original light grey. Once dried, I decided to try a teal blue glaze instead. I used 3 tbsp of glaze with just a small amount of paint – maybe a tsp.
I brushed the blue tinted glaze on the legs, focusing on the detailed areas, and immediately wiped back off with a cloth. I liked this MUCH better than the dark glaze!
Then I stained the top using gel stain. I loved the original wood, so I went with the lightest stain I had, golden pecan, in the hopes that it would just enhance the colour. Unfortunately the end result was quite a bit darker than I had hoped, but still turned out quite nice, I think.
Then I sealed it was triple thick clear coat with satin finish.
And here’s the before and after!
When I get the babies properly trained and I they can fly around the house and go back to the cage on their own – I can always make over a couple of chairs and use this table as a cute little breakfast nook.
I had all the supplies on hand for this project. But I used roughly $10 worth of product.