Adding Shaker Trim to Flat Panel Cabinets

$100

I recently decided to give my bathroom a budget-friendly makeover. Instead of replacing the bathroom vanity, I decided I would add shaker trim to the flat panel doors and paint the vanity to look brand new. Checkout the detailed videos on my IG: instagram.com/mrsashleyfrench

Remove doors and hardware

First I removed the hardware off the cabinets. Then I removed the doors by unscrewing the hinges. I completely removed the hinges from the doors and placed the hinges, screws, and hardware into a bag so I wouldn't lose any pieces.

Cut Shaker Trim

We purchased a sheet of 1/4in Birch Plywood that measured 2ft by 4ft. We decided on a 2.5in wide shaker trim and ran the plywood through the table saw into 2.5in wide strips. Then we used the miter saw to cut the strips of wood down to length to match the cabinets.

Glue trim to cabinet doors

I applied wood glue to the back of the trim pieces and used a silicone brush to smooth out the glue before placing them on the cabinet doors. Make sure they are lined up perfectly with the edge of the cabinet door.

Add pin nails

I added 23 gauge pin nails into the trim pieces to ensure they were secure to the cabinet doors.

Fill in cracks and holes

I used wood filler/spackling to fill the cracks between the trim pieces and any small holes/dents created by the pin nails. Allow this to dry before painting the cabinet doors.

Prime

I painted the cabinet doors and trim with a coat of primer. Allow this to fully dry before applying your cabinet paint color.

Paint Cabinet Doors

I applied 3 coats of cabinet enamel paint to both my cabinet doors and the bathroom vanity. I used a firm foam roller and a small brush for inside the angles. I recommend letting the cabinet doors dry for a minimum of 48 hours before installing the hinges and hardware and reattaching to the vanity.

Install hardware

I used a hardware template from Home Depot to center and mark the holes for the cabinet pulls. I then drilled the holes and installed the new hardware.

We are so happy with the shaker style doors and vanity makeover!

• Ashley Beck Rohrbach

Did you replace the countertop or just refinish it? If you refinished, what product did you use?

• Sandy

I want to know the color too!! As well as the info on the vanity top (if you refinished it too).

• The color is Deep Twilight Blue by Valspar. The counter is from IKEA. It’s a marble look laminate and is only $79! We love the counter so much!

• Kay A

Did you sand the cabinets?

• Ashley | DIY & Home Design

No I did not sand the actual cabinets. I did lightly hand sand the wood shaker trim with 400grit sandpaper after the primer was dry, but I didn’t sand the laminate cabinets. The primer I used was a bonding primer and ensured the cabinet paint adhered well without having to sand them.