4 Ways To Care For Your Lawn

$30
1 Day

It's summertime and there are always problems to deal with when caring for your lawn. Anything from dead patches, when to water and how much, how to get rid of those darn weeds, and mowing. Today, I'm going to share how we take care of our lawn with you! You can see more of my crazy creations here

Here's a picture of our yard. It's a big lot and it always needs work - don't they all? We have fescue grass which is better in our dry Colorado environment.

Plus wait until you see the new Worx Landroid mower we got - it's a robot and saves us a ton of time! We started by staking the wire around the perimeter of our yard for our mower so it knows where to stop. 

How To Deal With Dead Spots

First you'll need to determine why you have a dead spot in your yard. Is your grass being watered too much or too little? Do you have enough dirt to create an established root system for your grass? These are a couple culprits, and another is this example here - voles.

Voles are an animal that tunnels through your yard and destroys the grass in the process. We first had to get rid of the voles and they were living under our cement patio slab. We first got rid of the plant that was attracting them (they love certain flowers and junipers). Then we lit a fumigant and stuffed it into one of the entrances under our patio. This will repel them and stop them from hiding there anymore.

To repair the tunneling damage they created you can either leave it alone and it will slowly grow back. If you want it to grow back faster - we raked away some of the dead grass, and added some fresh dirt to the dead patches.

We planted some new grass seed to the dirt. We watered as usual.

Another common problem is animal urine. This can be dogs, cats, or in our case rabbits. It's a viscous cycle as the rabbits eat the grass down and create the dead space. While they are there they are urinating and that also kills the grass. Then when fresh grass starts to grow, they come back and eat the fresh stuff and repeat the pattern.

Putting a fence up will help keep the rabbits out of your yard. To grow the dead spots back, you want to neutralize the ammonia & nitrogen from the urine. Mix together 2 Tablespoons baking soda with a gallon of water.

Pour the mixture on to the dead spots.

If you just have dead spots that are not created by animals. Sprinkle Epsom salt on the dead spot and water daily. The grass will grow back.

Weeds

Everyone has weeds and want to get rid of them from our yards. Why are weeds bad? They weaken the grass plants making them more prone to issues like disease, drought, and infestations.

I'm a girl who likes to keep everything as natural as possible and not use harsh chemicals.

You can remove weeks by digging them up. Pulling the root system totally out of the ground will prevent them from growing and spreading.

You can also pour boiling water onto weeds to kill them. Be careful not to hit other plants or your grass with the boiling water as it will kill them as well. This is a great solution for spaces like around trees, side walks, driveways, etc.

Make your own spray and there are several ways to do this naturally...

1. Vinegar - spray straight vinegar onto the weeds.
  2. Mix 2 cups water and 1 cup salt and spray onto the weeds
  3. Dish Soap - Fill a spray bottle full of water and add 1 Tbsp of dish soap.

I add a gallon jug of vinegar to a weed sprayer. I also add 1/2 cup salt & 1/2 cup dish detergent to it. This helps kill those nasty weeds. Vinegar breaks down the plant, salt dehydrates, and the soap makes it stick to the plant.

You might notice your grass turning a little brown and dying a little but what's important it is will kill the weeds and allow the grass to grow back and be healthy.

See my new Landroid Mower charging in the background? It charges super fast and is ready to use in no time.

Mowing

When mowing your grass it is really important to change the direction. If you mow the same direction every time, your grass will lean towards the direction of your mow. Changing the pattern causes the grass to grow upright and you get a nice clean cut.

Our old mower just died and we just got a Worx Landroid. We loved that it was super easy to set up the perimeter so that it knows where to mow on its own. Plus it charged super fast - so we were up and running in no time.

The pattern varies keeping the grass growing straight up for nice cut. 

Okay and on a side note, it's a robot lawnmower so we can do the other chores while it's mowing our yard which is nice. This helps us complete all of our tasks earlier and we get more family time together.

Watering

In Colorado where we live, we have dense clay soil that tends to hold water and or run off. On the nights we water (4 days a week - almost every other day), we cycle through all the stations twice for a shorter period of time to let the water soak in.

I took this picture during the day so you could see the sprinkler but we water at night.

As you can see, treating dead patches, getting rid of weeds, mowing correctly, and watering helps take care of your yard. All yard work pays off and you have a beautiful lawn to enjoy. Plus using our new Worx Landroid mower saved us a ton of time so we could spend more time with the family.

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

Chas' Crazy Creations